Where do you get your sand? What's it like?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fawkes, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Fawkes

Fawkes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Anyone know of anyplace to get sand around northeast Florida, maybe Jacksonville/Middleburg area? I've heard washed construction or river sand is best and that it's best to go to your local quarry because it'll be cheaper than at like Home Depot (I checked Home Depot's website and they seem to only have commercial sand anyway, whatever that is). Not sure which quarries have the best sand though - I've heard of some people getting dusty sand. And I want to make sure the sand isn't full of silica like playsand etc is.

I've been using sand from my yard, which is perfect. It's beautiful white, fine, soft grains; but not dusty. But I don't have anywhere to get it from now, short of digging up the yard, because of concerns of pollution in my pond (I was just getting sand out of the pond - the soil here is pretty much pure sand). Really hoping I'll like the new sand just as much!

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    while sand can be the easiest cleaning agent it can also be the most messy. just in my experience the mud and the sand mixed together and it was just dirty for like ever finally one day i had to strip the whole bottom of the coop.

3. Fawkes

May 8, 2011
    Oh really, I've always found sand to work great! It always looks so nice and clean. And I like the way it feels (I hang out in my duck kennel a lot). It is messy though - I often end up covered in sand lol.

It's lucky it works good for me because really it's the only thing that would work for my duck's dog kennel. I'd be afraid to use anything else, mine are really bad about eating stuff and I just had a duck get intestinal blockage even though I can't imagine what he must've ate.

4. donkeydew2farms

donkeydew2farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2014
    Fawkes do the ducks eat the sand? I was thinking on going the sand route. you can get play sand from Lowes. It is clean.

5. Fawkes

May 8, 2011
    They do eat the sand some but not enough that I'd be worried. Oh and in case anyone's wondering, I know that with Arya (the duck that got intestinal blockage) it wasn't due to sand because he'd been fighting with the other boys so I had to separate him.

I don't like playsand because of the silica in it and I think it's dusty too (which also adds to the silica concern).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by