Where do you incubator your eggs? (ex. bathroom, spare bedroom, etc)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cjexotic, Feb 24, 2009.

1. cjexotic

cjexotic Cj's Mandarin Ducks

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    I am wondering where others incubator your eggs. I am new at this and getting ready to load up the incubator. My new bator came today.. I am at work I want to leave now.. since I know its there. lol
    I want to put it in the bathroom as its the warmest and most constant heated room. My other half thinks its a bad idea due to the humity from the shower. Now there is only two of us. So its not like the shower is used for a couple hours to get the family bathed.
    Please help me out on where the best place to put the bator..

Thanks cj

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I incubate them in my finished basement. The temp stays around 54 degrees.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Spare bedroom. I block the vents & keep the door closed. It stays about 55 degrees in there.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I keep it in MY bedroom so I can get up every 5 minutes through the night and stare into the bator.....I keep a flashlight right by for that purpose, too. LOL

5. cjexotic

cjexotic Cj's Mandarin Ducks

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    So you want the lower temp? I can do the basement.. i think.. humm.. never thought of that.

hummm bedroom, flashlight, up every 5 min. to see in bator.. now that sounds more like me. lol

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i have mine in the living room. right under the thermostat.

i would think the humidity in the bathroom could have dramatic swings with bathing causing spikes in the bator.

find somewhere in the house where humidity and temp are pretty consistent.

7. jj ranch

jj ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    i have mine at the end of kitchen counter, it is a permant deco!! [​IMG] its right next to frdge so it helps with drafts and keeps it warm. plus i can stare into all day and night [​IMG] while my hubby is close in the living room still getting my attention [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    one in the office at home one on the floor next to my desk in the classroom...we are about to crack one open next hour to watch development

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I use the second bedroom, which is a combination office/guest room/bator room. There are no drafts in that room and the temp is more constant than anywhere else. I find that with a styrofoam bator, it's harder to regulate when the temps go below 70* and the bsmt is always too cold except in summer.

10. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I have my homemade incubator and hatcher in the a walk in closet in our finished basement. As stated above, the Humidity and temperature stays consistenet in the basement and the humidity is naturally higher becasue it is the basement. Also in the closet, so that it is not affected by sun light. I have a nightlight installed in both the incubator and hatcher that is on all the time, so that I can view them any time I want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by