1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where do you keep your chicks prior to the coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KiotiCK25, Jun 20, 2007.

1. KiotiCK25

KiotiCK25 New Egg

Jun 20, 2007
    Virginia
    I'm a newbie my wife and I are looking at getting some chickens. So I have picked up a few books read through them, lurked on this site for weeks. But one thing I never really came across is what people do when they get them home. Where specifically do you "house" the chicks until they are old enough to go out into the coop?

Either from the Poultry Hatchery you would order the chicks from, or if you get them locally. I understand how and what tools you set up for them as far as a heat lamp, water, etc. But I haven't come across any threads using the search tool that metioned what some of you hobby farmers are doing?

Do you keep them in your house in a mud room, basement or garage of some sort?

Also do any of you know any hatcharies in North Western Virginia?

Best website yet for small chicken farmers that I found.

Thanks,

Sean

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  2. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    My babies are 3 weeks old today! I have my brooder right in my living room. The pine shavings are getting replaced every nite. I disinfect the brooder before replacing the shavings. [​IMG] We haven't had a problem with odor yet. Just a lot of dust! I like them nearby so I can give them attention more often. Whenever I get a chance I grab one and sit on the couch and give'em some lovin'. [​IMG] A lot of people do use the washroom or other tiled area. Our living room is wood flooring so it's easy to sweep up the dust!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a brooder set up in the shower pan of my bsmt bathroom and that's where they stay till they go to the coop. Naturally, I'm limited by that space as to how many I can keep for how long, but that's what I've been doing since I started raising chicks.
    Sorry, don't know of a hatchery there.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

We had ours in the garage. Our family room opens to the garage, so they were close by. That way I didn thave the dust in the house....as bad.

5. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    I keep my in a store room that has a window for ventilation and plugs for the lamps! I just used two big cardboard boxes I taped together, so far so good.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Initailly I keep mine in my kitchen in an old play pen with heat lamps. (We tend to have very cool night right up to June in this part of Va.)

At about 3 weeks they go out to my grill house which is a screened in house where they live in a very large brooder that I made with interlocking baby gates and hardware cloth. I also use the heat lamps at night there.

When they outgrow this brooder they go to their barn.

This last batch is a rather large batch of chicks for me.

If I only had a few chicks they would still be in my kitchen where I can watch and play with them.

7. chicksnducks

chicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    Mine lived in my walk in closet before going out to the coop! I got to tuck them in each nite and because I spent a lot of time holding them they are very tame now!

8. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    we keep our brooder box right in the Living room. That way they are always close to us, which works best as they are so much easier to handle as adults.[​IMG]

9. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    Mine are in the dining room in a cardboard box and a plastic storage tote. It was fun at first, but now that they're bigger I'm looking forward to moving them. They're 6 weeks old and could go out into the coop, but first we have to move to the house where the coop is.

10. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] This time when I got my babies home I put them in my henhouse inside my coop.....my older ones are locked out of there.since they refuse to use it anyway.......and it is warm , no, it is HOT enough I don't worry about them.so far so good.they are happier out there than they were inside my bathroom in a crate/tub.......so it all depends on seasons and how secure your henhouse/coop is....I believe.... Good luck and welcome to the addiction [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by