Where do you keep your ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pekinsRus, Mar 12, 2014.

1. pekinsRus

pekinsRus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    I am curious where ALL us duck lovers house their ducks! I tried to get replies & I did get a few, but it had many views. PLEASE HELP ME & other duck lovers out!! I am going to attempt to make a new duck house/set up for my 2 new Pekins. I just want to see how every goes about housing their ducks.

NO OFFENSE TO US ALL BUT THERE APPEARS TO BE A MILLION CHICKEN COOP IDEAS & designs. And bless them & their chicks!

SO ANY THOUGHTS IDEAS, ADVICE, PICTURES ARE APPRECIATED!

I lost my 4 Pekins on 2-17-13 to fire & I am to blame! It has been a terrible experience that I am haunted by! I had my boys 4 yrs. & my girls 2. They were picked up & held everyday!! Last EASTER WAS so sad! On Ash Wednesday 3-5-14 my son picked out 2 Pekins at TSC.

Thank you all,
    Char:):)

2. Richb353

Richb353 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    This is a 10'x10' duck house I made out of metal fencepost material and Ondura roofing. Behind it you can just barely see my first duck house, a 4'x6' house made out of old wood fenceposts. The smaller house provides 4 walls and will hopefully become a nesting box once I get a few more ducks. The whole thing is intended to secure about 20 ducks.

Here are some things that crossed my mind as I built it:
    -Ducks don't need perches, so this can sit on the ground.
    -Here in Florida I am more concerned about sun than the cold. So shade and breeze were important.
    -I'm going to put wheels on this thing so I can tow it with my mower.
    -The smaller house has wheels on one end and moves like a heavy wheelbarrow.
    -The roof panels on both houses open for access.
    -I put a big door on the bigger house to make herding the ducks in for the night a little easier.

As mentioned, the biggest thing was mobility as you know how messy these walking yard ornaments fertilizer factories can be. I eventually want to make the weekly move as easy as possible. The smaller house I can move by hand, the bigger one is going to need 4 wheels and the help of my mower.

1 person likes this.
  3. pekinsRus

pekinsRus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Thank you! We are located in Western PA. The roof style would save us due to large snow & rain amounts!!:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by