Where do you keep your incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MapleLeaf86, Feb 13, 2013.

1. MapleLeaf86

MapleLeaf86 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    I have been keeping mine on a table in the living room, which lets me keep an eye on the temp while I'm relaxing on the couch. My family thinks I'm weird :| but I can't relax much if I think I need to check on it!

I know from pictures a lot of you keep them in family rooms, but where do you prefer to keep yours and why? Anyone give you a hard time about the location?

2. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    I keep mine in the laundry room on a counter. I need mine out of sight and out of mine except for the 10 times a day that I check on it.

3. FLMomRN

FLMomRN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2013
    Florida
    Mine is in my bathroom. Well, it's more like the dressing area attached to my bathroom I guess. Anyway, it has a long counter top and it's upstairs in my bedroom so I don't have to worry about the kids or dogs messing with it.

4. Kilsharion

Kilsharion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Landstown
    My Coop
    Mine will be in the dining room. Then again, mine is being built to look like furniture because I'm anal retentive like that. We have a corner that I was going to put a baker's rack in...instead, it's getting my incubator. We also do not have small children in the house, so we don't have to worry about that.

Photo of incubator build in progress:

[​IMG]

5. MapleLeaf86

MapleLeaf86 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    Ooh Kilsharon that looks nice! Maybe I can find an old piece of furniture to hide mine in at a thrift store. I'm not handy enough to make something that nice looking. Lot of options there, but I think my laundry room gets too hot and stuffy, and the bathroom definitely gets too humid when we shower. Maybe I'm paranoid about those things!

6. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    mine is next to my bed on my night stand table, lol!!

7. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Mine is in our laundry room on a little table. I can't keep in in my room or living room because I would be bothering those little buggers 24/7! [​IMG]

8. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Mine is in my bedroom! Just in case they hatch at night....... plus it is a good night light! Lol

9. Cherokee1976

Cherokee1976 New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    I keep mine in the living room where I can keep looking and watching constantly. LOL

10. Kilsharion

Kilsharion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Landstown
    My Coop
    Thanks, Maple. I'm proud of his work. You'd be surprised at what you can find to retrofit as an incubator. Old vitrolas, old consoles (the record cabinet types)...I even came close to convincing my husband to retrofit an old "works in the drawer" telly using the glass as my peeping tom window on the little bits. But, I've had fun building this one from scratch. My husband has done all the carpentry; but, I've laid out what it is I want done where (except for the egg turner - he did that one all on his own [​IMG]). He tries to act like it's a chore; but, who goes out and makes something totally spontaneous like that for a "chore"? [​IMG] Goofball.

Mine has no light, so it'd get me into trouble - I'd be bound to bump into it in the middle of the night.

It uses a ceramic infrared heater (for terrariums/reptiles) that doesn't put out any light at all. I am hoping to put an article together on how it is all built out when we get it done. Hopefully my husband will hold his horses and not do anything drastic without taking photos/letting me be involved. But, when he gets the bit in his teeth! **laughs** The only thing on the actual interior of the incubator are the eggs and the egg turner. I went a bit overkill and actually have a hydro/thermal control unit to control humidity and heat. I had them sitting around from my terrarium days, so figured I'd put them to use. The fan is from an old laptop cooling unit that we don't use anymore (actually two fans in a single unit - very light, very soft breeze - very quiet).

As soon as it's done, we're doing a test hatch....I'm so nervous and excited. I hope it works out well and does what we believe it should. Of course, with an engineer and a manufacturer working together - well, it's bound to be a bit of overkill......but - it's fun.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by