Where do you keep your Pot Bellied Pig?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sandy sea, May 21, 2008.

1. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    I have a 4 month old pot bellied pig. Not sure if I should try keeping her with the chickens in their coop. Where do you keep your PBP? Ideas or pictures of where you keep your pig would be helpful.

2. lexustami

lexustami Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    St. Clairsville, OH
    My parents bought a pot bellied pig back in 1994. He (Popeye) was a cute little piglet. He stayed in the house. They trained him like a dog. He would go to the door when he had to go potty. Then in 1995 they got Olive. (I use to paint her toe nails pink.) She also stayed in the house. They both slept in the bed with my parents.

They finally kicked them out of the house about 5 years later. They were just too darn big. They must have been cross breeds or something because they got as big as hogs.

My Dad died a couple of years ago and my Mom moved to Tennessee. She couldn't take them with her because 1) They didn't have the proper documentation to get them past the Ag check in station and 2) She had no where to put them at her new house. She couldn't find anyone to take them. She tried rescues, the humane society, placed free to good home fliers. Nothing! No one wanted them.

My brother ended up taking them over to his 10 acre property. They roamed around there for a few months and then migrated into the housing development close by. Animal control finally came by and picked them up. They were friendly enough but they were causing too much damage to peoples yards.

It is a sad story because they were really sweet pigs but because of their size they had no where to go when their primary caregiver died.

Take care,

Tami

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  3. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I have a potbelly pig named Lucy. I just got her a couple of months ago. Someone was giving her away. She is the sweetest little thing, but she hates my dog's, so with that being said she now lives with my goats in the backyard. They get along fine and me and my kids still spend alote of time with her. She is spoiled. She is super messy. So she has her own little house and her own little pool that she can get in whenever she wants to.

4. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    I adopted a pot bellied pig from animal control here. They gave her to me b/c I knew all of them from my 14 yrs as a vet tech. Named her Petunia. She was so Sweet!! I still lived in the city and had someone else keep her while my house was on the market. Selling my house wasn't looking good so we had to move her to my parents house. They kept her in the huge fenced in yard right off the chicken coop. She did fine with the chickens and they didn't mind her.
    She got to come out and everything. A few months before I got the house I'm in now in the county, she got out during the night and ogt hit by a car:-( She was an escaped artist even with a hot wire she got out like clock out every 3 weeks or so. That's probably how she ended up at animal control.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by