1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where do you microchip a donkey???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by farmchick897, Nov 15, 2010.

1. farmchick897

farmchick897 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    Sounds like an easy question, but I've gotten several different answers from vets, breeders and the microchip company (Avid). Does anyone actually know how to do it and has experience to share on the best way for a 1st timer? I don't want to cause them pain and I've heard the base of the ear in the ligament is not a fond spot for the donkeys. If the donkeys are fighting it then it's going to make it 100% harder for me to do it. Both donkeys stand perfectly fine for shots and Coggins, so I'm thinking the neck will be better. According to the microchip companies vet, the only acceptable place is the ligament in the neck, Not under the skin.

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Do people steal donkeys? [​IMG]

3. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    you need to do it where the "official" spot is. if you do another area, a scan for a chip will be missed. I've heard the neck but I don't do donkeys (I do birds and it's the breast muscle for parrots, pip muscle for rheas)

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

there has been some concern about microchipping animals lately, apparently the chips are causing cancer where the chip is at....i have the info saved somewhere i think and will post it if i can find it....

5. farmchick897

farmchick897 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Kentucky
    The chip is required for registration. The acceptable spots for registration is base of ear or neck. According to Avid the neck is the only place that will be scanned by vets, rescue, etc. in the case your animal gets lost or natural disaster occurs. I want to know the easiest and least painful way but I also want it done right. If placed under the skin in neck will it move? Why does it not move in dogs?[​IMG]

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you want it just so that the animal can be NOTICED (by stockyards, etc) if it should go missing, I agree the chip needs to be in the official place i.e. the neck ligament cuz otherwise it is unlikely to get scanned. But if this is just for positive-ID purposes for yourself, I suppose any other functional place would do too.

there has been some concern about microchipping animals lately, apparently the chips are causing cancer where the chip is at....i have the info saved somewhere i think and will post it if i can find it....

What there's been is a bunch of websites and chain emails about it. In reality, ANY wound has some (tiny) chance of causing cancer, and there is no evidence I've seen to date -- and some fairly decent studies have been done, IIRC -- that microchips cause this at any higher rate than anything else (say, a thorn puncture or a surgical site). Personally I regard microchipping as demonstrated-safe, and sometimes of lifesaving importance (for lost pets or stolen livestock) or just of practical relevance (like registries that want durable IDs on animals and accept microchips as an alternative to RFID tags etc)

Pat​

7. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    Quote:I wish someone would steal mine...If they did I'm sure they would either bring her back or turn her loose, at which time she would Find Her Own Way back....

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Quote:It does...

9. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    ()relics :

Quote:I wish someone would steal mine...If they did I'm sure they would either bring her back or turn her loose, at which time she would Find Her Own Way back....

[​IMG]

If you were closer I would steal her! I want a donkey so bad​

10. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010

[​IMG]

If you were closer I would steal her! I want a donkey so bad

I got a jackazzes you can have.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by