1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

/where do you order seeds/plants?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by frankenchick, Dec 29, 2012.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    It's time for those catalogs again . . . what company do you deal with?

I like to buy heirloom seeds and haven't needed any for several years, so I feel like I'm out of the loop.

2. rollkeeg877

rollkeeg877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2012
    london ontario
    go on google and type in plant seeds for sale it gives you a site on the top and click on it theres everything like i mean everything i forget what its called i think its in Canada where i am

3. Labmum2

Labmum2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2012
    Bakers Creek Heirloom Seeds. I'm trying to avoid companies that sell GMO seeds.

4. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Another Baker Creek Seed person here. I like their website for ordering best!

5. Banana

Banana Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2012
    Oregon
    I like Pinetree Seeds. They sell small packets for relatively low prices so I can try lots of different things. I also like Territorial Seeds. They're spendier, but they've got good stuff.

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I often buy from bountiful gardens.I have gotten from southern hill preservation.SSE and horizon herbs.

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Dave garden watchdog is useful for company ratings. I have always gotten seeds no plants online.Baker Creek catalog rocks.

8. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Question for you all, what are "heirloom" seeds and how are they different from other seeds?

9. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Heirloom seeds are "pure" seeds and have had no crossbreeding with other plants and have been passed down for generations. And I believe the strains have to be "x" amount of years old to be considered heirloom. Typically, you may save these seeds and have plants that look exactly like the "parent" plant--were as if you save seeds from hybrids, the plants may look like the parent plant and sometimes express the recessive gene plants.

Heirlooms are said to taste better, are more resistant to bugs and are just plain wonderful. I hope that answered your question. [​IMG]

10. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    Okay, thank you! You explained it very well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by