Where do you order your chicks from?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by maidenwolfx80, Sep 27, 2012.

1. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I am ordering from ideal poultry. This is my first time ever ordering from a hatchery and have no clue what to expect. What are your experiences with ordering from ideal or other hatcherys?

2. Charm1704

Charm1704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Elgin, Tx
    I live in Tx. and ordered Easter Eggers from them a little over 2 years ago... all arrived healthy & happy...~Charm1704

3. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Wonderful. I ordered a small order of 10 hopefully they do not add any roos I have too many already.

4. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I have ordered from :
    Townline Hatchery - Very happy with them, their customer service is awesome. Townline is the only licensed hatchery of ISA Brown chickens in the US. They are located in Zeeland, Michigan.
    Meyer Hatchery - Very happy with this order too, but they could use some work on their customer service. If you love a variety of breeds to pick from, you'll LOVE their selection, it's huge. They are located in Polk, Ohio.

5. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I really thought ideal poultry had a good selection and this time a year alot of hatcheries are stuck with productions and run of the mill breeds so I thought that being able to get the breeds that I wanted this time of year and for $40 it was an excellent find. Now teh journey with this company is far from over, when my chicks arrive if all goes well and all chicks survive I will order from them again if not I hear meyer is good[​IMG]

6. debir1966

debir1966 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Central Idaho
    I have ordered from Ideal 3 times now and have been super pleased each time. We had one DOA on the first order and they were going to credit me but I asked if they could just stick in a replacement with my next order and they said sure! Their customer service rocks, they are super nice and even when I ordered a "Surprise Special" the lady offered to change one of them because I had also ordered that breed separately.
    Chicks have been healthy and happy and do well. Other than the one DOA we have not lost a chick. I got my last (3rd) order today of 15 cornish rocks and we had 16 in the box! The other two orders were in the summer, so no extra packing peanuts.
    I will be ordering from them next year as well for most of my chickens, I just need to find someone with a few of the other breeds I want that Ideal does not carry, but I will be getting most of my birds from Ideal.
    I am in Idaho and they arrive in 2 days (shipped Tuesday - a day early by the way! - and arrived today. The other batches were shipped on Wednesday and arrived on Friday).

7. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Wow sounds great. The days are passing ever so slowly.. lol I ordered 10 pullets, so a small order. 2 of each,,,, Black Australorp, Black Langshan, dark brahma, RIR, silver laced wyandotte. All new breeds to me except the RIR. I was so happy to find all the ones I wanted this time a year.. I do feel more confident now that they will make it here fine.

8. AwallRooster

AwallRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Arkansas
    Better call them and tell them that you don't won't extra roos, cause the will add them to your order for company an warmth for the birds that you ordered,[​IMG] I ordered 4 pullets, an 1 roo from them, an they said since the order was small they would have to add 6 more roos ,but I could buy insurence for a couple bucks an they would not add the extra, ( I also think it's a way to get rid of the roos ,cause nobody want's them), lol,[​IMG] so i got the insurence, an all 6 arrived safe an alive, and are 10 weeks old now an growing like weeds!!! Ideal is AWSOME>>!!!![​IMG]

9. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I was looking at that, I was going to get insurance but if they need the extra warmth to increase chance of survival I can always ,, if I find it in my animal loving heart, ,, cull the extra roos for freezer. So you ordered 5 and still got extra? So since I have 10 in my order I will get 2 extra? Maybe that is not good...

10. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Ok updated,,, I just got off the phone with Ideal and I added insurance and a grogel packet,, super nice lady and was happy to help.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by