Where do you order your Garden seeds from?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by steffpeck, Feb 16, 2009.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I am getting ready to order seeds for our garden and would like to know where the best place to buy them from. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. conradpdx

conradpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    On my couch
    I mostly use http://www.territorialseed.com/, there a local NW company, and the owner wrote the gardening Bible for the Maritime Pacific Northwest, and most his seeds are varieties that grow well in our environment.

I also like http://www.seedsofchange.com/. They're from NM and a good company all the way around.

Personally, I like companies close to where I live, they're more likely to carry the varieties that grow best in your area.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Stokes
    Johnny's
    Fedco
    Jung's
    Vermont Bean Seed
    HPS
    Totally Tomatoes
    Harris
    Osborne
    Jordan
    Evergreen
    Kitazawa

Sometimes: Thompson & Morgan, Park, Burpee, Richters, Holmes, Tomato Growers

So, how would I have these names all at hand? Because I'm surrounded as I write by the catalogs [​IMG]!

Have now finished all orders except Kitazawa and Jordan. It's too late at night to reason out the mostly Japanese names with the former. And, I find Jordan's website so clunky that I always mail in the order form.

Steve

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I order from several places:

Burpee

Park Seed

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds

Johnny's

Kitazawa

Oh and Sandhill Preservation for the brooder mix and sweet potatoes...also some herbs.

I have never been disappointed in anything I have ordered from the above sources. I have to try Gurney's but I may for the Fall as I hear good things about them also.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  5. gudrin

gudrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    I just ordered all my seeds from Baker Creek.

I have had okay luck with Gurney's but I have heard a lot of bad about them too. A lot of people are not happy with the live plants that they send. I've been fine with ordering seeds though.

I'm all excited to get my seeds this year! If only the snow would go away so I can actually work in the garden!

6. ntiveheart

ntiveheart Chillin' With My Peeps

i will ONLY order seeds from a company that has taken "the safe seed pledge". this means they will sell NO genetically modified seeds, which in my opinion, can be the downfall of traditional farming everywhere.

most of my seeds, every year, are from:http://www.heirloomacresseeds.com/

it's a small family operated company with a very nice variety of heirloom and open pollinated seeds. their customer service is outstanding too!

7. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    I typicaly buy from my local Ag store but this year I received a magazine from Henry Fields with $25 off coupon for $50 orders. The customer service person I spoke with was very nice and answered all of my questions. I used the "free" $25 coupon to order blueberry & raspberry bushes, I'm looking forward to seeing them in April.

8. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    I am ordering from Seed Savers Exchange located in Decorah Iowa. They preserve many rare and heirloom seeds. www.seedsavers.org.

9. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    I love heirloom seeds from:

Bakers Creek

Seed savers exchange

Seeds of change [​IMG]

10. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I order mine from Gurney's, and I usually buy herb seeds at whatever store I see them at.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by