Where do you order your meaties??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by doubleatraining, Sep 11, 2011.

1. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    A neighbor and I are looking at splitting an order of meaties. Where do you order yours from? We want to get 20-25

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Ours come from Welp.

3. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    I get mine from Welp too.

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I am a firm believer it's best to get them from the hatchery that is closest to you. That is assuming they have quality chicks. Last year I switched to a hatchery less than 2 hours from me, and I have had very few chicks that arrive stressed or DOA. They ship Wednesday afternoon and I get them Thursday morning.

Goodluck!

5. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
  6. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I get mine from Schlect Hatchery in Iowa. I've ordered from them twice and have been perfectly happy with their birds.

7. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I ordered mine from Whelp. They ship this Wednesday, I'll let you know how they look. I believe their minimum order is 25

8. QCFChicks

QCFChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    I ordered 50 from welp hatcherys all 58 arrived alive and healthy cannot be happier so far!

9. FiascoFarmer

FiascoFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Farmington, NH
    We used Meyer Hatchery for our last batch. All I can say is WOW!!! We produced HUGE healthy birds! Just butchered them a couple days ago and the meat is out if this world!!! Most moist and tender breast meat EVER!!

As far as the birds go; no leg issues or heart attacks. Raised them to 8 1/2 weeks. I have to admit I felt bad for them at times cause they waddled around like a sumo wrestler with his legs cut off at the knee... was also very funny too. Very quiet and docile... except when I was bringing their food in morning! Stampede!!!! Haha!

Feed them 12 hours on 13 off. Broiler crumbles and broiler max.

10. erinchelsea

erinchelsea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Webster City, IA
    Quote:This. We have several hatcheries around here and I will drive to go get the chicks to avoid having them shipped and stressed. If you can't do that, I'd go with the closest hatchery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by