Where do you put the dirty bedding when you clean the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by linguafranka, Feb 9, 2012.

1. linguafranka

linguafranka Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but now that we have rapidly growing chicks I finally realized I don't know how to dispose of the dirty litter & poop. Trash? City greenwaste?

2. Tressa27884

Tressa27884 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    East Bay, Ca.
    If you garden, start a compost pile. It's the best, if not you can put it in the same can you put your yard waste in.

3. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Trash? No way. You don't want that stuff to clog up landfill. Dirty chicken litter is one of the major benefits of having chickens. If you aren't a gardener and don't already compost then I'm sure you should easily find someone who will happily take the stuff off your hands.

4. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    yes someone wants that if u do not

5. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    I move mine directly into my garden (during the winter) beds bc it's about the best fertilizer around. It gets put someplace (I have 5 acres) to break down for gardening during the growing season, then tilled into a bed after harvest.
    Find a gardener to haul yours away for you. =D

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  6. ChirpNEggBaby

ChirpNEggBaby Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    West Central, FL
    I live on a farm and we just spread it around......trust me in becomes good old fashioned "dirt" in a very short course of time. you can also burn it, esp. if youve had any chickens with the "funk". It makes an ash pile and chickens LOVE an ash pile to bath in-help keeps parasites off them.

7. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    We move it all into the compost pile. It breaks down pretty quick with a little food scraps and water added. Good luck!

8. mb poultry

mb poultry Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2012
    Southwest Virginia
    this time of year we dump it straight on the garden. it will be plowed in this spring, and really helps the soil.

9. Terrik

Terrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Dallas, OR
    We put ours in our yard debris recycling can. I would put it in the garden however the garden has been turned into the chicken run, lol.

10. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Yard debris bin for curbside pickup. It's 90% pine shavings so in the end it becomes compost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by