Where do you put your chick food in the coop?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hd_darcy, Jun 7, 2011.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    When leaving baby chicks in the coop, is there a good way to do something with their food so the others can't get to it, but they can? Right now I have it in a nest box that everyone has access too...and gets to. However, I have to go up there and lift up the top of the nest box so they have sunlight to eat and drink. We're going away for the weekend, so I need to put their food in "light".. or maybe I can just buy a flashlight for the nestbox? LOL.. .. Any easy solution to put their food to where chicks can get it, but the big ones can't? Thanks!

2. cpchicks

cpchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    Do you have a small cage that you can put in the coop with the chick food in it? A pet carrier would work also. You need to block the door with something and make an opening just big enough for the chicks but not the older gals. Try it a couple of days before you leave to be sure the little ones figure it out. [​IMG]
    Good luck.

3. barefootfarmers

barefootfarmers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    You could always block off a section of the coop for the babies.

4. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I actually ended up using a feezer basket. I just turned it upside down and propped the end up. It's working perfectly [​IMG] Thanks for the suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by