1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where do you put your incubators?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hd_darcy, May 13, 2011.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I am just unsure of the perfect spot to put my incubator. I know it's not suppose to be in direct sunlight or where there are big temp changes. I hatched in my basement before, but now with the weather changing, I'm too afraid to for the dampness down there and the humidity changes that will come. Most of my rooms in my house upstairs are sunny... would that be a problem? I mean, it wouldn't be right where the sun would shine in on, but still a sunny room nonetheless.... Any thoughts or suggestions? TIA!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I suggest you pick a room that has the least temperature change. With me that is either a spare bed room on the east side or a bonus room on the west side, depending on time of year. The big consideration is that the thermostats on most incubators cannot keep up with big temperature swings. They need a fairly steady location. They also do not shed heat very well. If they get too warm, it can take them a long time to cool off, even if the thermostat turns the heater off.

It is not just the sun shining directly on the incubator, though that is a huge no-no. It is how fast the whole room heats up or cools off. one of those sunny rooms may work fine, especially if you leave the curtains closed.

Anothe consideration. You need to avoid them being where outside air can come in and change the room temperature quickly. I initially tried setting mine up in the garage, but when I opened the outside door, it cooled off too quickly and took a while to warm back up. That was fairly early spring. It certainly shed heat quickly then.

3. MountainChickenMama

MountainChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    I have mine in my walk-in closet, LOL, and so far it has worked fairly well....

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I put minein the office but the wife informed that wasn't cool...so..... [​IMG]

5. animaluvr

animaluvr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    I have mine in the spare bedroom I just keep the curtains closed.

6. Bnemeth

Bnemeth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I keep one in a spare bedroom on a dresser away from the window and another on our dining room buffet that's against an inside wall - both hold the temp and humidity well

7. bds613

bds613 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    Texas
    I keep mine in my utility room

8. lebentier

lebentier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SoCal
    mine is in the office with blinds drawn shut

9. CasieD

CasieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Central Wisconsin
    I set mine up in our main floor laundry room. No windows and little temp changes.

10. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by