Where do you put your thermometer/hygr. during hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Godiva, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    I was wondering where you put your thermometers during the hatch? I had one resting on the eggs but I figured that probably wasn't the best place for the chick trying to get out!? So I have it on the floor of the bator which of course is reading low, but I have had stable temps so am not going to worry about those I suppose. I have kind of propped them against the side of the bator in the hopes that I won't get too much mess on them during the hatch.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Wherever it will fit so I can see it through the window. Usually something like this.

[​IMG]

3. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Ok, that is kind of what I am doing - of course it is very different with 39 eggs in there! I am kind of glad I don't still have 51 eggs in there! I am so excited and impatient to see what we are going to end up with. It is a good thing that we don't have any fertile eggs lying around right now or I would probably be loading those as soon as this hatch was done! [​IMG]

4. Godiva

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Now that I see your pic I realised that I have two of the same thermometer/hygrometers... how accurate are your accurite and flukers? Mine don't quite agree so I am constantly trying to figure out who is telling the truth, I had another digital one in there but the battery is done and I don't ahve a replacement so I am going between my accurite and flukers and then the stick one sent by GQF as well...

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Take an average of the 2. That's the real temp to go by.

6. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I have two basic thermometer's in mine right now.One is in the middle reads close to 101 and the one on the side is reading 99.5.I guess since heat rises the top of the egg's would be a little warmer and the humidity is at 35%.I don't have a fan so I think I'm pretty close to where I need to be.It's worked pretty well for other hatches but I have Blue Orps in there now and I don't want to screw it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by