Where do you sell a Sebastopol Goose?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by audy5000g, Feb 6, 2013.

1. audy5000g

audy5000g Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    Last year we ordered 4 Emdens. We don't know geese so we just thought they were unusual Emdens. Turns out only 2 were and 1 was a toulouse and one was a Sebastopol. Found out at the Fair. Anyway, we did not feel right about selling a Fancy goose as a meat goose. So we kept him. I think it is a him cause we never got any eggs and he is almost a year old. Born Jan. 27th 2012.

I tried to sell it on craigslist with no avail. And I just found http://www.michigansuperads.com/ but know nothing about it. I am desperate as I just today ordered 4 new Emden for this years fair. I have to get rid of this Fancy goose. Did I mention he is unkind?

Anyway, we had considered finding a female and breeding them but lack the time or energy. So we are going to try and sell him. I was told an adult sells for 300.00. Which my son would like, but I was just trying to get 150.00 for my son and then lowered it to 100.00. Still no hits on it.

Do you have any idea what I should sell it for and where? This is not really about making money. I just want my son to get something since he could not sell it at the fair and he worked so hard. And I need to get it out of the pen. I figure I have a good month maybe 2 before I need the pen it is in.

Thanks for the advice. I am new here and may have lots of questions.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    300 is high for a hatchery bird. Price is based on quality only when it comes to sebastopols. There is no blanket one price fits all when it comes to live stock, bloodlines, quality, age ect all come into play.

Geese are seasonal layers and will only lay in the spring (typically) each year. They dont start laying until the year AFTER they were hatched.

Since you dont know the gender a CL ad or other local online classified asking $50 - $100 (depending on quality) would be better than online in a place like here on BYC since most on here would need shipping and that would cost more than the price of the bird.

If its this bird: (from your profile) it is a smooth and asking price should reflect that. Here it would sell for 30-40$ max as an adult
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  3. audy5000g

Feb 6, 2013
    Thank you very much. I did post at that MI site. I didn't know people sold on here. As for price that is what they told me at the fair. But I will trust the word here.

I bought it from Ideal Poultry Breeding Farms in Texas.

So are you saying that if you buy from a hatchery it is not good quality? I had no clue. I have always bought from a hatchery for my kid fair stuff.

hmmmmm things to think about.

And had no clue about the eggs. How can I sex this goose? Or can I not? He/she is soooo mean. Killed our peacock even but loves the ducks. Very weird.

4. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Hatchery stock can be good for some breeds, but for others like Sebastopols not always a good choice. If you want a pet then yes, if you want a good example of the breed that meets the standard then no. Meat class bird destined for fair and slaughter then you arent as concerned about long term looks and breeding, but more body size and auction price.

Sexing can be done via vent sexing and or DNA (plucking three feathers from the chest and mailing to a lab) Avian Biotech is one of the most used and tests run $24 per sample give or take.

As far as killing your peacock, no idea. None of our Sebbies are aggressive in a way as to kill another bird, especially one who can fly like a peacock. June - Nov/December they all free range together too with no issues.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  5. audy5000g

Feb 6, 2013
    Well it was during a storm and we are assuming it killed it. Since predators would have eaten it not just let it lay there dead. We think the storm scared the young peacock in there. It was only about 4-6 mths old.

6. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Raccoons will kill and not eat them, rather disturbing when you find a coon kill, such a waste. Sorry you lost such a young bird, not knowing why/how is as bad as the loss for sure.

7. audy5000g

Feb 6, 2013
    Ok, that makes a lot sense. Thank you!

8. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    welcome and good luck to them with this years birds. Hope they repeat the wins and get a great market price for them. (I always was more nervous over auction than showing market animals)

9. audy5000g

Feb 6, 2013
    Here you can show any bird. So kids show an easy to handle fancy bird or bantam. The sale is cake but the showing causes me to about puke. Kids have to know so much about the birds it is crazy. Even when the judge went around last year he questioned the kids on the meat animals. I was like, seriously? Just judge on the meat. Like a 5 year old is going to say, "yes my turkey is ready to die!" She did get reserve though. Yippie!

10. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    The bird you put the picture is a smooth breasted and no a real good example of one. As far as being mean sounds like there is another breed that it could be mixed with. I have sebastopols and I had my sebbies and they never tried to kill any of the 7 peacocks I use to have! So I doubt that one killed the peacock. Something else must have done so and the goose wasj ust curious to see what happened to the peacock.
    If the bird is mean it will take a bit to sell it. I would say $30.00 to $40.00 to sell it. Make sure to tell the bird has blue eyes and has feathering of a smooth breasted sebastopol. Good Luck.

Tell you children good Luck on the fair next year!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by