Where do you start?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Aub, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Aub

Aub Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2011
    How do you get started showing chickens? We have pet chickens from mypetchicken.com and meyerhatchery.com. How do you know if you get one that is worth showing?

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    To be honest if they came from a hatchery then they are most likely not show worthy.
    If you want to get into showing then you need to find a good breeder of the bred that you are wanting to show.

Chris

3. TexasLady

TexasLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Okay, so I did the same thing that the first person did. But then, after not showing, I decided to get some show birds from breeders.

Where do I start learning? There are not a lot of shows around this area, few judges (though one very nice one nearby).

I've tried to read the breed standards, but I don't really understand what I'm to look for.

If I go to a show, then will people tell me what I need to do and what to see? I know some folks are nice, but it seems in showing anything, there are a lot of people that are hard to talk to.

So?

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    Most people at a show are more than happy to help a newbie. However, wait until the birds are cooped Nd people aren't scrambling to prep birds. The day of the show I usually have 30 birds Iam preping. once they are cooped I am more than happy to help people. Many shows let people coop in the night before things are usually more relaxed then.
    Remember you are a potential customer. What breed are you interested in ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by