Where do you store your eggs?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by skatcatla, Jan 17, 2008.

1. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    I've read that eggs can be stored on the counter for days and still be fresh, but I'm having the hardest time with the idea of not keeping them in the fridge! We've kept store -bought eggs in the fridge my whole life, so I just can't seem to bring myself to trust nature.

Do you keep your eggs somewhere besides the fridge? If so, where?

2. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

While I do keep mine in the fridge, there are others who will store them at room temp. We went to Costa Rica this summer. When we went to the grocery store the eggs were at the end of an aisle, room temp - not in the refrigerated section.

My boss said when he was growing up (in rural Georgia) they would keep their eggs in the "pie safe". I think that is just a cabinet. [​IMG]

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Mine are on the kitchen counter! [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    My grandmother never kept hers in the fridge. They were in a basket on the table. No one ever got sick either. [​IMG]

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Mine are on the kitchen counter in a basket for days....

6. ORChick

ORChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Oregon
    My German MIL kept hers on the counter, I think a lot of Germans do. I have read that, if they will be used fairly soon that that is alright, but a refrigerated egg will keep longer. As I do not yet have fresh, fresh eggs I keep mine refrigerated, not knowing how long they have been sitting around waiting for me to buy them LOL. Maybe when my chickens (which have not themselves yet been hatched LOL) are laying I may make an experiment.

7. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I just watched a video that states that store bought eggs are as much as 45 days old before we even get them in the store. Does that tell you anything?

I keep mine on the counter beause I read that it is perfectly fine, that they are so fresh a few days will not hurt them.

Besides don't we eat them too fast anyway?? [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. gardener

gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Willamette Valley
    Quote:Isnt it really cold in Germany though? [​IMG]
    I was told that they age much faster on the counter room temp. So I wouldnt go much more than a week

9. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    Kitchen counter till I get good and ready to put them in the fridge.

10. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Quote:Isnt it really cold in Germany though? [​IMG]
    I was told that they age much faster on the counter room temp. So I wouldnt go much more than a week

Nope, Germany's climate is similar to our northern states.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by