Where do you tend to buy your dog/cat food?

Spookwriter

Crowing
9 Years
Feb 23, 2010
Ohio
In reference to Kinder Korner's thread about a feed store.

I am the buyer of the chicken feed. Also the wild bird feed, deer blocks,
corn for the squirrel. And I do this at a local private owned feed store. Also
buy hay there. Matter of fact I just had this man reroof my parents home.

But my wife buys the food for the cats and dogs. This she tends to do at the
local grocery store, or Wal-marts or the dollar store. Where ever she buys it.

But in reference to Kinder Korner...How much dog/cat food and supply do you buy
at the feed store?

I buy dog food at TSC. I get the Taste of the Wild stuff. I tried putting the cats on TOTW, but they will have nothing to do with it. They eat Purina One from the grocery store. As I consider Walmart to be the seventh level of hell, I don't buy much of anything there.

I buy my dogfood at the local feedstore. $18 for a #50 bag & I go through 6 bags a month. That's the cheap feed bill. The birds & horses keep the feedstore in business!
gig.gif

Cat food from the local grocery store because it is cheaper.

Layena, scratch, wild bird seed, peanuts, BOSS and suet blocks by the case from the feedstore cause it is cheaper.

I buy the individual suet blocks from the pharmacy, individually they are cheaper there unless the feedstore is having a sale.

Imp

(I also dislike wal mart. Very seldom will I go. But my wife...my silly wife,
she goes every few months when she thinks I'm not looking.

But like it or not, Wal Mart is very much a factor in todays shopping.

I favor the mom and pop shops.)

I too use Taste of tjhe Wild for my dog, and my cats also willl not touch it; even tried a new fish flavour, and only the outside only cat will eat it. I'm currently feeding them the Holistic Select anchovy, sardine & salmon formula (I avoid poultry based cat & dog foods; actually the dog is fairly allergic, so I stick to a fish & potato formula). I do occasionally switch brands, mostly for the cats who tend to be picky, and what was fantastic last week is not the cat's meow this week. But I almost always purchase at a small, locally owned pet food store. It's nice to walk in and have them know me (the owner grew up in the neighborhood I live in, and I know her parents fairly well), my animals and what they like and do not like. Cost is comparable with PetSmart.

Premium foods cost more per lb, but usually significantly of the food is actually absorbed into the animal, and less is filler that passes through and out into the yard as noxious waste. And last tme I looked at grocery store cat food prices, they were almost as high as the premium foods, except that they were traditional grocery brands (and lack of quality).

Last edited:
I buy dog food and cat food at Walmart, about $50 ish, conservatively, per month.

We feed wild birds and squirrels. We purchase that feed, scratch grain and lay pellets and big hound treats and bones at TSC. Around $100 per month.

Horse feed, at the feed store, $72 per month

Fertilized coastal hay, $6.00 a bale Varies per month

hmm.png

What little is left we purchase beans and rice.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom