Where do you work on your injured chickens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Kibble Goddess, Aug 26, 2010.

1. The Kibble Goddess

The Kibble Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Sylvania, Ga
    I've already lost one chicken to injuries, and I know I'll probably be dealing with it again, so here's my question: Where do you work on your injured / ill chickens? I don't have a covered area with good light and water outside, and the only place inside to doctor them is on the kitchen counter. Last time, I put down a thick layer of newspapers, laid out my tools & magnifying light. When I was done, I rolled up all the disposable stuff in the newspaper & put it in the trash. Washed up the counter and sink with regular Dawn dishwashing soap. Wiped my tools down w/alcohol. MIL is kind of freaked that I have chickens (and she grew up on a farm) and would absolutly go ballistic if she knew I had one up on the counter on which I prepare food. She may have a point, do I need to be more concerned about bacterial contamination? What do y'all do?

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    I have my own bathroom/lab that I grow and raise insects and the brooder box and incubator in there.

I have a table over the sink for medical uses.

3. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    I picked up one of those "Outdoor water stations" real cheap at a yardsale. It converts from a sink to a countertop by sliding it together. Works wonders for me, I can do whatever I need to do on the counter, slide it out and wash things in the sink and hose it all off when I'm done.

4. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Just our upstairs bathroom. Good lighting, and we never use that tub, so a cat carrier can be placed there and the shower curtain drawn to darken the carrier and promote rest & healing. Plus, it's across from my bedroom, so I can keep an ear out for distress.

I'd like to have a "real" space someday with brooder area and all. That's on the wishlist [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If there's a serious issue, it's the kitchen countertop using newspaper. If it's a minor issue, It's the workbench in the garage using newspaper. However, with this terrible heat...it's the kitchen countertop. We always use bleach or alcohol to sanitize everything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by