Where do your chickens eat?

MARSHMALLOWPEEP

In the Brooder
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
Boston
We have a smallish coop so the food and water is kept in the attached run. We change the water often cuz it turns to ice quickly this time of year. The girls come out to eat and drink and then run back into the coop.

In the coop.

Imp-Sitting on their living room sofa. Been trying to get them to eat in their dining room, but they're slobs.

I keep feed and water in the coop and outside in the run too. I may have to rethink the outside feeder though, because my daggone dogs get into the feed whenever the run is open
sad.png

Teach, my dog not only likes the feed but she also eats the chicken poop too! No takers when she comes looking for a kiss!

However I can't fit the feeder in the coop. And they just spill it so we kept it outside.

When it's above freezing I keep a waterer in the coop and one in the run. Food is strictly in the coop because I don't want it getting wet and moldy. I have a one gallon heated water bowl in each of the coops in the winter. Sometimes the dogs still sneak into the coops and eat the food.
rant.gif

I keep their feeder in the coop, because I haven't been able to keep the rats out of it in the run. Moving it in and out every day became a PITA. I do give them lots of scratch in their run, and a hanging cabbage head, but they clean up all the scratch before bedtime (when the rats come out). It's also nice to know that they have feed if they don't get let out right away.

My homemade feeder is attached to the wall in my coop. The waterer is a store bought metal one that I sit on a cinder block to get it out of the bedding. My run isn't covered so putting the feeder outside would just be a mess waiting to happen.

Back
Top Bottom