Where do your girls lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Churkenduse, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I made beautiful nesting boxes and they lay anywhere they please outside those boxes.

Where do your girls lay their eggs, do they lay in the nesting boxes I am curious where. [​IMG]

2. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    [​IMG] I wish I had that problem.....mine don't lay yet [​IMG]

3. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

a few of mine use boxes now....others on my fenceline and more outside the henhouse all together,but inside run.......go figure [​IMG]

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I've only ever had three eggs laid outside the nest boxes... first eggs for three different chickens...

My nest boxes are pretty big - I have two made out of plastic totes turned sideways with a piece of wood screwed across the front - they're big enough that three standards can get in at the same time! AND they do!

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    The hen I have right now - Annie - is so funny. She had been laying in the nest box in their coop but as winter came on I added straw to the floor of the building the coop resides in (picture a building within a building, small-ish coop in larger building), to help make it more comfy for them when they walk around in the daytime since the floor of the larger building is cement and quite cold in winter. Well, now Annie makes a nest anywhere she pleases in the large building.

The other day I came in the little side door to that building and BJ roo was right there at the entrance, standing over (protecting) Annie, who was nesting beneath him right at the door's threshold. He said something like "Can you come back later?" and so I gently shut the door and let them finish their business. A little bit later sure enough, the egg was just on the inside of the door. Glad I had visited when she was nesting and knew what to expect or I would have later walked in and likely stepped right on the egg! Don;t know what possessed her to choose that spot. Or any of the other spots, but now I have to walk around gingerly, looking for makeshift nests in the straw. I don't mind [​IMG]
    JJ

6. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Whatcha trying to say Wild.that we have small inadequate boxes? [​IMG]

7. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I can count on one hand the number of eggs not layed in boxes.In fact Saturday morning I had 4 hens in the same box trying to lay.There's plenty of boxes but they have their favorites.

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Whatcha trying to say Wild.that we have small inadequate boxes? [​IMG]

[​IMG] Perhaps they like em BIGGER - they can move around and adjust all the bedding/nesting to suit themselves....
    Its cute seeing two or three in the box at the same time - just sitting waiting to lay! Its like a community labor and delivery ward! [​IMG]

9. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    The picture says it all..... this one was from yesterday...
    in the house of course, snowstorm....my trash chicken..oh and she will ABSOLUTELY not go in there if I lay it on its side, it has to be upright...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jill

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  10. FlightsofFancy

FlightsofFancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Canton, GA
    So since we are talking about the nesting boxes....what does everone put in there nesting boxes? Mine are not laying yet and really should be considering some others from the same hatch are.
    Hay? Savings? Something else? They aren't even interested in the nest.
    ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by