Where do your hens lay their eggs? ***Pics Please***

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlickin8, Jan 29, 2011.

1. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    I found my Australorp "Molly" nesting in a potted palm on my patio. I thought it was funny! I have beautiful nesting boxes in the coop for them. I guess she decided the palm was better...ha ha! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] she is sweet! mine use the nesting box's occasionally a new hen will miss and lay on the floor.

3. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    Mine have a rectange of 6 boxes..Are yor boxes big enough??

4. mrsbos

mrsbos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Greenacres, WA
    Before my pullet, Chickie, got the nesting box thing figured out, she laid a couple of eggs under the enclosure netting on top of our trampoline. We were definitely surprised to find eggs there! Thankfully, no one uses the trampoline in the winter (hence the netting being down), and after a golf ball was placed in the nest box, she caught on fast and started laying in the right spot.

[​IMG]

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Love this thread!! [​IMG]

6. ozarkmomma

ozarkmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    the ozarks
    I don't have a pic, but DH found an egg in an unused dog house last night. Not sure who laid it but I'm pretty sure she just didn't want to "hike" all the way back down the hill to the coop. They free range in our huge back yard all day and the dog house is up under the back deck. [​IMG]

7. alleyjazz

alleyjazz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
    Eight perfectly good nest boxes and they lay underneath. Go figure!

[​IMG]

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have found them near the mailbox (yikes!) and in a sort of sheltered spot under a rabbit cage by the shop, but mostly they lay in the coop. Not necessarily the nest boxes, now, just the coop. Right now there's a lot of hay on the floor, and they love to wallow out a spot along the wall and lay there. In a week or two the hay will be in the compost and the floor back to dirt with pine shavings. Maybe they'll go back to the nest boxes then.

I even have a few different types or styles of nest boxes because they have individual preferences.

Silly chickens.

9. alleyjazz

alleyjazz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
    My little mystery breed bantam layed her first little egg today and guess where it was? Underneath the nest boxes where my RIR is in the picture above!!

10. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I had a hen lay on top of their bucket feeder. I wish I could have seen that one in action.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by