1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where do your silkies "roost" ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by babsbag, Jun 17, 2010.

1. babsbag

babsbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    Anderson, CA
    I am fairly new to chickens, but newer to Silkies. I have 4 silkies and a polish that were hatched the end of March. I have other mixed bantie chicks the same age. The banties roost on the roost. The silkies and the polish roost on top of their cage which is in the coop. I think I read on BYC that silkies don't roost per say. So my question is this...what do you give your silkies to sleep in, if anything? Or do they just sleep on the ground in the coop? The polish is right in there with them, they are sooo cute. I am not keeping the cage in there forever. That was just to introduce the new chicks to the flock.

There is one silkie that can't seem to figure out how to get up on the cage, 18" high. She/he walks around the cage chirping until I come and pick them up. I know they can jump up there, they are just playing with me [​IMG] Really sweet little birds.

2. MommyToThree

MommyToThree Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Yakima, WA
    My silkie (I only have one) likes to sleep on the nest box. I have seen her on the roost too however.

3. BCCFarm

BCCFarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2009
    BCC Arizona
    i only have one silkie but she sits on top of my nesting box to sleep. she doesnt even use the roost i set up for her. i dont think you really have to put anything in there for them but if you want to straw works good [​IMG]

4. squeakyballs

squeakyballs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Mine sleep under the nest box.

5. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Only one of my silkies can get up on my 4ft high roost. Most roost on the 1ft high one and two silkies sleep on a three inch high tub that's turned over.

6. Nascarwc88

Nascarwc88 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2009
    Lexington, KY
    Our 2 Silkies sleep in the their nest box.

7. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I have one old Silkie rooster that roosts with the other birds. The other five Silkies sleep in the Silkie Pile on the ground every night.

8. MommyToThree

MommyToThree Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Yakima, WA
    A.T. Hagan :

I have one old Silkie rooster that roosts with the other birds. The other five Silkies sleep in the Silkie Pile on the ground every night.

[​IMG] Silkie Pile...I love it!![​IMG] [​IMG]

9. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I have a Silkie and Polish Pile at my house. None of them like to roost.

10. Neilette

Neilette Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Showgirl roo roosts on the roost bar with the rest of them. Their roost bar is only 5" above the (second story) floor. Last night my new Showgirl probably-pullet slept on the floor nestled under another chicken, but that was only her first night.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by