where does everyone get there egg cartons

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jimmythechicken, Jun 16, 2010.

1. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    my daughter chickens will be laying in aug an she so she is trying to pick up every thing she will need so where is the cheapest place to buy egg cartons she really wanted purple oneshaha

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I asked my uber-green workplace to recycle them for me. I now have hundreds.

3. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    I've had my family collecting them for me for the last year. I bet I have at least 100 packed into my closets.

4. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    ya she has collected about 20 from family an friends.

5. JustOneMore

JustOneMore Chillin' With My Peeps

I just ordered from eggcartons.com. I chose the double 6-pack plastic ones so that they can be cleaned easily and reused. The strip of 12 snaps in half ... 6 is more the size I am inclined to share with friends since our girls have only begun to lay. Give it a couple of months and I will be eagerly sending 12 packs out the door! [​IMG]

A woman I work with was recently given a "warning" by a health inspector that it's not legal to reuse cardboard egg cartons when selling eggs. She was told that she would be fined if he found out that she continued to sell eggs from recycled containers.

I don't plan to sell any of ours but thought I would share the info.

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I see absolutely no reason not to reuse cartons, even the paper ones are washable to an extent. I don't use those that have stain marks. I only get $2.00 for a doz. and that wouldn't make sense to buy cartons. If friends donate them back to me why not save a few from the landfill. I'm surprised someone hasn't said anything about the styrofoam filling the landfill. Of course if we all recycled them it would help.

No one should feel bad about reusing cartons. Those who don't should. Of course I suppose it's ok to supplement your used ones with new.

Recycle, reuse and ?

Rancher

7. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:Thinking like this is why we have TONS (and I do mean that literally) of compostable or reusable materials flooding into landfills. I see no reason NOT to reuse a cardboard carton if it is clean. If they're not clean, they make good seed starters and are biodegradable. Once the seedlings are well established, you can cut the sections apart and bury them in the soil without taking the seedlings out if you choose, or the seedlings can be removed and put directly into the soil. The cartons that are too soiled or torn can be put into your compost pile if you have one. Styrofoam may be more easily washed/disinfected, but it is not biodegradable. It does not break down unless hit with a solvent or heat. In other words, a styrofoam cup now, if not exposed to solvents or extreme heat, will still be a styrofoam cup 100 years from now. I don't use styro plates or cups anymore, and haven't for a long time.

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:well put, Rancherh. [​IMG]

9. mommyof5

mommyof5 Out Of The Brooder

I order mine from eggcartons.com also. Check with them over the next 3-6 weeks as they usually have free shipping sometime in July. They don't have purple but they do have a really cute pink carton made out of recycled material. The run about .50 apiece so if that is out of your budget put the word out to friends and family. I usually charge an extra .50 for the first dozen and then if they return the carton the price of course goes down. They also carry all of the health info stickers that you might need.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  10. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I order new cartons from www.eggboxes.com which had the best prices I could find for the type and amount of cartons that I wanted. I use those for my one store account. For direct personal sales I reuse styrofoam cartons because I can adequately clean and sanitize them. I only use unstained cardboard cartons for the eggs that I give away. Cardboard is difficult to sanitize. With recycled cartons you have no idea what they might be contaminated with so I prefer to sanitize them which cardboard is difficult to do with. Looks clean is not necessarily the same as IS clean unless you've got microscopes for eyes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by