Where does he look off?(horse)

petchickenlover

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Older (25+) QH gelding. Where does he look like he's hurting? shoulder, hoof etc??

ETA: Err, so how do i get the video to show up here or do i just have to post the link?
roll.png

Last edited:
You have to post a link and give more info about this guy. Does he have old injuries? enlarged joints? Arthritis? What makes you think he is lame? General stuff like that......OK?
smile.png

P.S. remember at 25+ there is gonna be some soundness issuew and/or not traveling completely level etc....

Quote:

Last edited:
Quote:
I was going to give more info but i got frustrated with the video-thing
lol.png
I got him as a companion and was told he had navicular syndrome, but sometimes i swear it looks like he's off at the shoulder and not the hoof. As for old injuries, I do not know. I was told he did lots of speed events and that he was state champion at reining. I'm sure he has arthritis as well as whatever else he has...

Video includes pics of the front two hooves as well. He's actually not limping as bad as "usual" in the vid:

Your video was very confusing....OK, one the LEFT hoof [no sock] his bar is smashed [where the V of the hoof wall is]. How this happened is ??? Uneven shoeing can cause this..not shod enuf...many possibilities. Does he test positive for navicular? [w/ a hoof tester]? It is the hoof, but because of the pain it will travel all over the body. IF you make a tight turn to the right, will he still go OUCH OUCH OUCH on that left leg? Or is it only to the left he does that?

Quote:
I was going to give more info but i got frustrated with the video-thing
lol.png
I got him as a companion and was told he had navicular syndrome, but sometimes i swear it looks like he's off at the shoulder and not the hoof. As for old injuries, I do not know. I was told he did lots of speed events and that he was state champion at reining. I'm sure he has arthritis as well as whatever else he has...

Video includes pics of the front two hooves as well. He's actually not limping as bad as "usual" in the vid:

He IS barefoot, so that could also cause ouchy to be worse......he hoof growth is very nice and even and the hooves are healthy looking.. Is his ouchy worse or better on cement / grass /gravel?

Quote:
Thats why I shouldn't put videos together in 5 minutes, sorry! I'm not sure how it happened. I think he was shod before I got him but he has been barefoot since we got him (08) I don't have hoof testers so I don't know if he tests positive for it, i just figured his old owner had vetchecked him and confirmed. I don't know about the right turn, I'll check hopefully tomorrow. He is on grass turnout 24/7 but he doesn't seem to hurt more on the gravel vs. grass. I can get some video of him on the grass tomorrow if you would like.

Last edited:
I think he looks off in the lower RF and maybe left knee? And an altered way of travelling with the LF could be the cause of the different wear pattern to the hoof/differencces on the sole. Foot/pastern/fetlock pain is hard because of where the pain is, it makes them move the whole rest of the limb funny, but I see he is not in pain moving the other joints of the right leg, but he seems to head bob more on the left. Could you get more video from the side... easier to see the lameness. He doesn't seem to be ouchy on his soles, he has good feet, but I also wouldn't rule out an abscess... I have seen them mimic other pain, last forever... whatever they feel like doing!

He looks like a sweet soul... glad you're giving him a home.

BTW...hey that was pretty good for a 5 minute put-it-togethr video..it would have taken me 5 HOURS!
Couple of more questions... How long has this been going on? You have had him for a few years now and the navicular may have gotten worse. Your farrier can confirm this with his hoof testers, don't actually need the vet for that. Yes abcess is a posibility BUT need to know how long this has been going on.

Willowtree farms has good info too. Try doing a video from the side up and down the driveway and do a right turn and the left turn.
Willow...I did notice that the tail was swinging evenly left /right when he was troting.....that why I feel in might be more localized on the hoof..and the smashed "bar" means something has been going on in the past..but what?????unknown....
smile.png

Quote:
Thats why I shouldn't put videos together in 5 minutes, sorry! I'm not sure how it happened. I think he was shod before I got him but he has been barefoot since we got him (08) I don't have hoof testers so I don't know if he tests positive for it, i just figured his old owner had vetchecked him and confirmed. I don't know about the right turn, I'll check hopefully tomorrow. He is on grass turnout 24/7 but he doesn't seem to hurt more on the gravel vs. grass. I can get some video of him on the grass tomorrow if you would like.

I will be the voice of decent and say its both his shoulder and something in his hoofs. The shoulder I wouldn't worry about as much there is little you can do about that in a older horse. His feet need attention. I would have a good farrier come out, it does not look like he is having outright navicular issues but I seriously wonder if an internal hoof abscess is to blame. The light feet, combined with no shoes suddenly, sounds like an abscess. He also may just need shoes, I am not one to begrudge an older horse shoes for comfort. Plus for an older guy he is over weight. Particularly if he has joint/hoof issues he should be kept trim and lean. Not pudgy. Also what kind of if any joint medication is he on?

Back
Top Bottom