Where does MPC get their birds from?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by texas_chick, Jan 30, 2009.

1. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    I think I read somewhere on the MYPetChicken site that they are working with another hatchery.
    Does anybody know where they get their chicks from?

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I always heard it was Meyer. I know Meyer also does small orders.

3. texas_chick

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    That's what I figured. I guess I'll just order straight through Meyers then...
    Thanks!

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I remember hearing Meyer's, Ideal, and McMurray, but I'm not sure.

5. texas_chick

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Ideal doesn't ship with a heat pack though and I am assuming since the day-old chicks can't get shipped around it's more of a drop ship operation, right?

6. ThePolishPrincess

Hmm...you're asking the wrong peson here. I just thought that Ideal sounded familiar. Someone has to know the right answer...[​IMG]

7. texas_chick

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:No, no, you might be right. My brain is set to 'small order program' and Meyer's would obviously be the only match there but for larger orders Ideal or MM would work. Perhaps they are more like chicken brokers ... [​IMG]

8. arwmommy

arwmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    California
    As a past (and current) customer of MPC, I know that the difference between them and Meyer/Ideal/MM/Welp/etc... is that not only can you order small numbers, but they do 2 things that the others do NOT do....... ship small numbers with a heater (so you can order REALLY small numbers-- like 5!) and they are the only company to SEX BANTAMS in the country.

I know where they get them, though I would never divulge that, as that was an inadvertant slip by the owner years ago to me, but regardless of where they get them, they provide a service that no one else does, and with FABULOUS Customer Service too! I would love it if they carried more Bantam Cochins, though!

I think you will be very happy with MPC, especially if you want sexed Bantams!

9. texas_chick

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    I want them to be free range chickens so I am looking for big birds.
    Meyers does use a heatpad too and ships as few as 3.

Hm...

10. ThePolishPrincess

We're ordering from them in February. I'm pleased that I'm able to finally order a small number to even out our 3 roos to 10 hens ratio. We really need these eight pullets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by