1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Where does the nipple waterer tank go for this coop?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NewHen, Jul 6, 2010.

1. NewHen

NewHen Songster

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    After I installed these, I realized I can't get the reservoir tank high enough unless they just need to be higher than the nipples? I also want to set up a PVC nipple waterer in the run. Any specific suggestions for this set up would be greatly appreciated! (Please ignore my lack of landscaping, which I may get to this weekend....or, not.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Crowing

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    they just need to be higher than the nipples?

That's all you need.​

3. NewHen

NewHen Songster

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    So if I attach the tubing to the top but than the tubing goes lower before reaching the reservoir, the water will make it to the nipples? There doesn't have to be some initiating suction or vacuum?

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Crowing

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The reservoir has to be higher than ALL the connections leading to the nipples.
    A loop or "trap" in the tube wont matter as long as the outlet from the reservoir is higher than the inlet to the nipples.

If it were mine, I'd have the pipes with the nipples at the same level.

I'd use clear vinyl tubing from the reservoir to the waterers, and I'd put the reservoir outside the coop for easy filling.

Use one large enough to hold at least 2-3 days worth of water for the number of chickens you have .

Since there's no pressure on the system, you should be able to use hose barbs and "tees" without clamps to hold the tubing, as long as they are the correct size

Something like this:
    [​IMG]

You COULD plumb it all with rigid PVC, but it would be more likely to break if it freezes

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: