where does the poop board go ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by beaken, Apr 5, 2009.

1. beaken

beaken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2009
    Hi everyone after reading this board all winter I got addicted . And well of coarse I,m building my 1st coop and run . I'm converting an old green house.. I,ll have before and after pics soon ! I have 25 goldlinks and 25 barred rocks 2 bronze turkeys and 1 Wyandotte coming on the 14th ! [​IMG] Do the poop boards go below the roost ? I,m trying to design for the easiest clean up ..

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    yes below the roost. treat it like it was a kitty litter pan and line it with something easily removed and thrown away.

3. beaken

Feb 13, 2009
    Wow fast reply thanks ! Ok let say I run a single roost 24 feet long 2 feet from the wall 3 ft off the ground. Then the poop board goes on the ground ? how big should it be with above example ? should it have sides ? or attach to the roost ? also will a 2x4 work for a roost ? with the 4inch side up ?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Mine is about a foot (ish) below the roost. I don't put anything on mine except a dusting of shavings when it's below freezing (to prevent poo from freezing fast to the board); cleans off well every morning with this giant-width scraper thing from the hardware store, I think it's meant for scraping wallpaper with or something like that (poo gets snowplowed into a bucket and removed from coop).

You can see one of mine in the pic of the sussexes on my personal page (link at left)(note that the nestboxes have been pushed back further under the droppings board since pic was taken).

There are lots of different ways to do it, though.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. beaken

Feb 13, 2009
    Thanks I get now. I like your page Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by