Where does the time go?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CarrieW, Jun 26, 2011.

1. CarrieW

CarrieW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    It seems like I just got my babies yesterday, but they will be 5 weeks old tomorrow and are moving out to their coop today. I am just waiting for my handyman to come over to hang a hook so the heat lamp can move with them. It has been getting into the high 80's during the day, but still down to the 40's at night, and I don't want my little precious fluffy butts getting cold.

Hmmmm, it's only June, maybe I need to make another order...

2. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    Quote:Just walk away from the brooder sloowwly... that's it... waaaalk awaaaaay!

(the phone is in the house.. now RUN and place and order!)

3. CarrieW

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    ROFL!!!

I love the way you think!!!

4. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I would say that you will need some outside heat source (the lamp) until (and if) the night time temps get up to the mid fifties.

In another month they should be feathered out and you can remove the heat altogether!

Man, I would give anything to have forty degree nights right now!

5. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    Quote:same here i might actually be able to sleep if it was cold

6. CarrieW

Apr 12, 2010
    Durango, CO
    They have their heat lamp out with them now. I will turn it off during the day. It gets hot here during the day, but these cool nights rock. Was out at 6:30 this morning cleaning out their coop, was 46. I love living in the mountians at 7,000 feet!

I'm having empty brooder syndrom, I can't hear them chirping in the garage [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  7. ajay

ajay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    We just put our 5 week old chickens in the coop too. I called DH today from a feed store that had beautiful little 2 day old Austrolorps. I cannot tell you how hard it was to walk away!

8. NewtoChicksinMT

NewtoChicksinMT New Egg

Jun 26, 2011
    I'm so happy to know there's more like me out there. I hear the peeps of other birds outside and wonder if my chicks somehow made it back to the garage....having visions of Homeward Bound! So funny, I am in the exact same boat...in Montana, 70's by day, low 50's by night. Also glad to hear other are doing the same, heat at night, off during the day. Whew....I'm not alone! When do you plan to let them go outside their coop!? This is their 2nd night and wondering when I should open the pop door? Hope all goes well!

9. ajay

ajay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    If I can do it, I'd like to wait 3 days. Somehow though I can't imagine my kids being OK with them being in there full time for 3 days. "Mommy, is it 3 days yet? Now? NOW???" [​IMG]

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    We have been in the upper 90's during the day and mid 70's at night. Send some cool. We could use some rain too!!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by