Where have all the Eggs Gone!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thechickenkeeper, Jan 31, 2009.

1. thechickenkeeper

thechickenkeeper Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hi there keepers, it appears are girls are drying up, I feel for our chicken sitter who has only had the pleasure of two eggs all week, not much of return for 5 days caring for the girls, we knew Nellie had stopped before we left, due we now realise to moulting, big pile of Nellie feathers under the deck.

As we have been away for 5 days , I have no idea if they have moved nest again, or just gone on strike due to the re-introduction of the budget pellets? We just didn’t have the time to drive out to the rural farm shop for the tastier ones. I shall have to observe them in the morning to see what’s going on, other than that nothing to report really, I have a nice tan after 5 days in the sun in the north of the north island, a beautiful spot called Mangawhai Heads, but you don’t want to hear about me, so I shall report on the girls as soon as i know what ’s going on.

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    How many chickens do you have (that were laying)?? How old are they?

Could be moulting (they stop laying during moult).

Good Luck!!

Cindy

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Could be the Summer weather . . . I've heard of Summer [​IMG].

Kind of sneaky changing their feed and then going on vacation. Maybe they got "back at you," eh [​IMG]?

Steve

4. kmmp

kmmp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    I was posting on another link about this...I am suffering from the same thing, but, its been going on for months, so I know it is not the weather (I am in So California). Thought the coop was too small so I built a bigger one. No change. Thought there was not enough light, so I put in more windows. No change. Thought it was the boxes, so I put in more. No change. I don't know what it is. They are not molting, not sick, don't have worms or mites.

If I don't get any improvement by Easter, I'll be making chicken pot pies for dinner! I don't have any electricity so I cannot put a light in the coop, plus, the roosters would crow 24/7 and I think the neighbors might have something to say about that. Also, I never had to do that before!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Kmmp

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  5. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    What are y'all feeding your chickens? Do they have food available at all times? Do they have a constant supply of water?
    ~Rebecca

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Could they be too fat? Sometimes, fat is stored around reproductive organs and inhibits their function. Just a thought...

Hey! Some folks use some cayenne pepper on their feed to stimulate laying and says it works every time! Worth a shot?

7. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    needmorechickens! :

What are y'all feeding your chickens? Do they have food available at all times? Do they have a constant supply of water?
    ~Rebecca

Oh and how many roosters you got per hen?​

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Since my duck pen doesn't have electric, I use a rechargeable ryobi flashlight to get a few extra hours of light in my duck's hutch. The 18v lights last about 3 1/2 - 4 hours before they fade out. SInce I have 2 batteries, I just switch them out every night.

9. kmmp

kmmp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    Thanks for the advice. No, they are not fat, yes they get enough vitamins and minerals, they have eaten the same feed for two years and they range feed also, I got rid of three roos (got mostly roos from last hatch, hard to find homes and have to wait until I am sure they are roos) so I have 4 roos and 17 hens. Probably too many still, but that never stopped them before! I've had as many as 7 roos! This seems to be a new thing!

I'll try a battery operated light, hope that will work.

I got them all as replacements when my dogs got all my flock, they came from same breeder, I wonder if it is genetic with this particular group? The only one who lays consistently is my rir, she was the only survivor of the dog attack and is 3 years old, the rest are younger.

kmmp

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Could be a genetic thing, as you say! I'd call them and ask them about it and see what they say. I doubt they would admit to producing nonlayers, but maybe they could have some insight into your flock?

Two years? This is the age that some breeds slow down on their laying and some folks regularly cull all layers at this age for that very reason. Maybe this is it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by