Where have my eggies gone???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LaurenM23, Jan 18, 2011.

1. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    (Posted this in the wrong section first...so sorry!)

My three girls began laying in November at 24 weeks. I was shocked that they would start laying so late in the year, having understood that laying decreases or even stops in the winter. Immediately, we were getting a minimum of two eggs per day (one girl laid one per day, the other two seemed to take a day in between...sometimes daily). Now, production has stopped...no eggies at all in three days.

Did they just figure out what time of year it is? Should I be concerned over their health?

Everyone seems happy and healthy, eating well and active. Their feathers look great, no runny noses, clear eyes...great all around. If anything, our temps have been getting ever so slightly more mild (30s and 40s, from teens and 20s), so I'm not thinking it is temperature related stress. I sure don't mind how ever long it takes them to do their thing, I just don't want to ignore something if it is a sign of trouble.

Thank you so much in advance!!!

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I would just keep an eye on them just in case but there probably isn't anything wrong. I have seen the same going on with mine in the last couple of weeks. One of my girls has been laying an egg a day almost every day since November and I haven't seen an egg from her in about a week. My one of my SLW's seems to have gone on strike as well. On the other hand, my other SLW who has been one of the last two hold outs started laying about a week ago and we have seen an egg a day from her almost every day. I think with the days still being so short it will be hit or miss until we get closer to spring. I watch them to make sure everyone seems to be happy, eating, drinking and pooping. So far no one is acting sick so I guess I will just have to wait.

3. LaurenM23

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    haha Thanks for the support! They are still eating like it is going out of style and are just as alert and personable, so hopefully it is just a daylight issue. I've purposefully not had a light in with them to not interfer with their natural processes.

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Same here. I figure if worse comes to worse, I would rather go buy a dozen eggs than interfere with nature. They are happy spoiled chickens! [​IMG]

5. LaurenM23

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Exactly! Except...I just gave a dozen eggs to some friends with a large herd of children, because we've been getting so many and they go through then so quickly. Now, we have none....go figure. [​IMG]

6. claireree

claireree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    My chickens are the same at the moment I have 5 chickens and have dropped from 5 a day down to 2. I do have 2 ducks in with my hens and I have noticed that when the hens go to lay the ducks keep trying to pluck them so I have now seperated them to see if that helps.

7. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Mine have slacked off on laying as well. I was getting 5 or 6 eggs regularly, with the occasional 4. Now I get 4 or 5, with a few days of only 3. I think it's the cold and snow. They don't like it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by