Where have people from NC bought from with good luck?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by jockey1975, Jan 13, 2011.

1. jockey1975

jockey1975 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    Wilson, NC
    I have never ordered from a hatchery, but was thinking about doing so and was just wondering. I have had the ability to buy from locals who sell just started pullets at very reasonable prices (cheaper than I can order chicks) but I want some breeds that they don't have. Just wanted some NC opinions. Thanks!

2. jc12551

jc12551 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    Do you belong to the yahoo group NCPoultry2? There are lots of sellers on there with a wide variety of birds available. I used to always buy my 1 or 2 birds off of members there.

3. Tbird84

Tbird84 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    Corapeake, NC
    Ooo! I'm gonna have to join that!

4. jc12551

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    TBird 84 There is a lady in Gates County that I bought hatchery stock birds from. They came from the hatchery sick, died a few days later, and she replaced them with some of her own chicks. I think she is a mod on NCPoultry 2 and a member here.

There is a Eastern NC group too. The NCPoultry 2 does not have many E. NC members. But I can't think of the name of the eastern group.. When I left Edenton, I left the groups.

5. jockey1975

jockey1975 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    Wilson, NC
    I will have to find that group. I am in Eastern NC and there are plenty of people around guess I just have to get into the know.

6. Tbird84

Tbird84 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    Corapeake, NC
    Hmmm. I am in Gates county. About 4 houses down from me is a lady who has show silkies and is a member of the My Pet chicken of Virginia. Silkies just aren't my thing. Didn't figure there'd be many chicken enthusiasits (sp?) around here. I'll have to try to search for that group. There just isn't much here in the NE part of NC.

7. jc12551

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    TBird-I think I have been past your house to the Silkie lady. I was wanting to show Silkies and she helped me out. I ended up not getting any, but she was nice. I met her through Craigslist or FreeCycle. I was the only person inside town limits to keep chickens in Edenton. It caused a lot of controversy, but there were no ordinances against it. None of my immediate neighbors minded, it was people not in my neighborhood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by