Where have you had luck selling chickens?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Blackberry18, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    I'm going to have three Light Brahma roosters that I'll be getting rid of, and I haven't had any experience with this before. So I'm wondering where you guys have had luck selling unwanted roosters. BYC? Craigslist? Thanks.

2. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Frozen Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    Craigslist works great, I was able to find great homes for my 2 roos within 24 hours.

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    CL has been my best bet. My advice it to remember it's free, and there's no limit on words and you can post a lot of pics. Drives me nuts when I see ads there along the lines of "Roosters to good home". That's it, no information about breed, price, etc. I've found if you invest a little in marketing, you have much better results. If your birds don't already have names, give them names. Take your time and get decent pictures. Write a little paragraph about them, make them likable. Emphasize your birds aren't especially found in your area if that's true.

Here's an ad I ran recently for my Faverolles cockerel. It took a week, but I did get my asking price for him, and more importantly found a good home. He was just too nice of a bird to eat [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gabriel (named after comedian Gabriel Iglesias, cause he's so fluffy lol) is a beautiful Salmon Faverolles cockerel. I'd planned to put him in a breeding pen this spring, but I just lost my last Faverolles Pullets to a predator this weekend. I'm Cockerel heavy and he's just too nice of a bird to put in the pot. He's 9 months old and will still fill out more over the next few months, he's currently 8 lbs. He's a very nice, correct bird and would do well showing at the fair this coming year. He has heavily feathered feet that have not fared so well with my muddy run. Someone who could give him appropriate housing would see large paddle like feathering come back soon.
    I treat my birds more like livestock than pets, but I have a feeling he would be perfectly content to be a lap chicken! He's very calm and docile, tries to eat from my hand but my head rooster chases him off. If you want an eye candy pet, Gabriel is the one for you!
    I'm asking $20 for him but am open to offers or trades, but no more chickens!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  4. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Thanks @donrae and @Bubbles12345 for answering! Just another question, how much money should I ask for?

5. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How much do you want to get rid of them? Honestly, I was surprised to get $20 for the Faverolles cockerel. Most of the time, I literally can't give roosters away around here. But remember, you can always come down on price, it's hard to jack it up though. You're not going to be selling those birds until later in the summer, if I remember correctly? Start watching your local ads now, see what breeds are available around you and what folks are charging for them. You might luck out and get $20 or so each, or you might be thrilled to simply give them away to be rid of them.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Gabriel (named after comedian Gabriel Iglesias, cause he's so fluffy lol) is a beautiful Salmon Faverolles cockerel. I'd planned to put him in a breeding pen this spring, but I just lost my last Faverolles Pullets to a predator this weekend. I'm Cockerel heavy and he's just too nice of a bird to put in the pot. He's 9 months old and will still fill out more over the next few months, he's currently 8 lbs. He's a very nice, correct bird and would do well showing at the fair this coming year. He has heavily feathered feet that have not fared so well with my muddy run. Someone who could give him appropriate housing would see large paddle like feathering come back soon.

I treat my birds more like livestock than pets, but I have a feeling he would be perfectly content to be a lap chicken! He's very calm and docile, tries to eat from my hand but my head rooster chases him off. If you want an eye candy pet, Gabriel is the one for you!
    I'm asking $20 for him but am open to offers or trades, but no more chickens
    !

Yikes, $20 for a Fav cockerel!?!? Send some of those people my way! I've put 20 of them in the freezer in the past 2 months. I can't even get $20 for a pullet.

7. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Like I said, I was shocked my own self [​IMG]. I'd been prepared to bargain down a bit, but they really liked him. I really didn't want to eat him.......

8. JacksFarmNGardn

JacksFarmNGardn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2015
    New York
    [​IMG]
    Gabriel reminds me of my ee roo!
    He was from craigslist. One of 3 free ones. In my area,if you really don't want roos you either have to give them away or process them. No one wants to travel 30-60 minutes for a roo.

9. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    I process my extras as I find it a waste of food to give them away. Last time I gave one of my young roos away for free hes a glw there flipping him now so if I cant sell them Ill process them.

10. JacksFarmNGardn

JacksFarmNGardn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2015
    New York
    Sad what people will do for a couple bucks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by