1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Where is a good place to get chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by teambrother, Mar 9, 2012.

1. teambrother

teambrother New Egg

Mar 8, 2012
    Laurinburg, NC
    I am totally new to the chicken thing. My daughter and I have built a nice brooder box and are assembling a small coop. We want to start off small and see what happens. The problem is we have a place to house chicks and chickens but no chicks or chickens themselves. Finding the chicks is not as easy as I thought. Can't find anything local and alot of the mail order places don't want to bother with a small quantity of 4 chicks. Does any one have any ideas? The local Tractor Supply is new and gave all their chicks to other stores. They said they didn't think they would sell. Thanks for any help you can offer.[​IMG]

2. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    do you have a Rural KIng in your area? They have chicks now also call some local mom and pop feed stores they always have the low down on newly hatched and breed animals for sale. If you were close I'd offer you some of our new chicks we have almost 20 now with 25 more on the way.

3. billl2099

billl2099 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    local breeders often advertise on craigslist under farm and garden, also try your local feed store

4. footloose

footloose New Egg

Mar 9, 2012
    Royse City Texas
    Tractor Supply is a store which usually has a few varieties this time of year.

5. BroodCoop

BroodCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2012
    I went by Tractor Supply the other day and was pretty disappointed by the conditions in the brooders. I would check for a certified breeder in your area. NPIP is a good start. Then I would check local clubs, feed stores, call your extension service, craigslist.

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Meyer Hatchery sells a minimum of 3. The shipping cost for small orders is $36, but I found it was well worth getting sexed chicks of the breeds I wanted. I have had two shipments of 7 from them and all chicks arrived happy and very healthy, except for one chick in the last order - and they sent an extra to replace her. They're both my best layers now [​IMG]

7. Armywifeandmama

Armywifeandmama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    The Missouri Ozarks
    I buy from Ideal or Cackle Hatchery.

8. jecombs

jecombs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    We got ours at Tractor Supply, but they had a 6 chick minimum. You might try calling your local 4H group or Ag. Extension Agent. They probably know of folks in the community who breed chickens.

9. teambrother

teambrother New Egg

Mar 8, 2012
    Laurinburg, NC
    thanks

10. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    You forgot to tell us where where you are located (city and state). Someone on here might be able to point you to a local source of chicks. You will notice that many of us have our location included in our avitar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by