where is a good place to get turkeys from come spring

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by abhaya, Nov 19, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I want to get a few turkeys this spring. They will be for eating but I like white meat so birds with lots of white meat would be good. I dont especially want white turkeys jusy cuz. What kind of turk would you get and where is a good place to get them.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

If it's for eating, you would want the broad breasted breeds. I'm sure BYC will be over-run with turkey poults & eggs by late spring.

3. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

If they're just for eating and you want lots of white meat but not a white bird your best bet is a broad breasted bronze. Those are some BIG birds though and take a LOT of food to get to processing size so be prepared for that aspect.

4. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We will have hatching eggs in the spring. The first 3 are white feathered, we have pics on our website if you want to see.

Midget White
    Beltsville White
    White Holland
    Standard Bronze
    Royal Palm
    Bourbon Red

Steve

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    If I get some in Spring they are coming from Steve-I've been waiting a year to get some of his eggs:) Just havent been brave enough yet and Im feeling mighty strong since I handle my two faily well this year:)

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Quote:Just let us know when you are ready [​IMG]

Steve

7. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    not to be smart but i always head to the woods with a shotgun and a call to get my turkeys, but would like to raise a few for my self

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Just let us know when you are ready [​IMG]

Steve

[​IMG] how soon do you expect to have some? I want to keep that round about time open so if a Broody pops up she's getting those eggs :)

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

The Midgets and Beltsvilles usually start around Christmas, then the Hollands, followed by the Bourbons and Palms and the Bronze are always last. It's probably going to be more of a temp thing for you being in NY. Eggs can freeze in transit.

Steve

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Will do-its cold out here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by