Where is my dummy egg?!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tchib, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Tchib

Tchib Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2014
    I am at the end of my meager brain power trying to find out what happened to my dummy egg!
    I put a brand new flock in on the Friday. Rooster and dummy egg in on the Saturday. Dummy egg was gone by Sunday.

The coop is secure and there are no snakes or rats. No possums or raccoon here in Sweden. The Flock was shut in for the first week as is normal.
    My first thought was that they were stressed and somehow 'sucked' the egg up to preserve the flock until they calmed down after the first week or so. Is that even a thing?

I need Sherlock Holmes to help me with this one, I've turned every last blade of straw looking for it and it's simply not anywhere!

It's my curiosity which needs to be sated rather than getting the egg back.

Reward for any correct suggestions! (maybe a poem or a funny photo!)

Toby

2. btguy

btguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2013
    North Mississippi
    With new bedding they will scratch a lot, check down in the bedding and litter all over in the coop and on the ground by the coops entrance. Otherwise a snake may have found a way in and we can laugh at his 'successful' egg theft.

3. Tchib

Tchib Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2014
    In all honesty it is probably buried under some straw but both me and my girlfriend took the place apart looking for it. The weather this time of year is far too cold for snakes here in Northern Europe but I have read other amusing threads where snakes have swallowed the eggs and not been able to escape through the holes they came in on. I will let you know if it turns up in the bedding but I would be surprised if it does.

4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there anyone involved smirking behind your back? [​IMG]

5. klilly20

klilly20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Kentucky, USA
    I had a possum still my dummy egg I laughed at that one because I just know there is a possum running around with broken teeth

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    What material was the dummy egg?

7. Tchib

Tchib Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2014
    It was hard rubber, not something that appetizing for pest or chicken alike.

8. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I agree, not appetizing to them. But could bounce? And if so, may be further from nest than you think?

9. Tchib

Tchib Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2014
    It's cleaning day today or tomorrow. We'll find it if it's here!

10. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Want to know if ya find it. Unsolved mysteries are so intriguing.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by