1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Where is my other rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TeacherMedic, Feb 6, 2014.

1. TeacherMedic

TeacherMedic Chirping

Feb 5, 2014
    NC
    So I bought or at least I thought I did, 6 Polish and 6 Silkies. One of each was to be a rooster. Its easy to tell my Polish rooster, but where in the world or whom in the world is the Silkie rooster? [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    How common is it for them to miss that it's a rooster and label it as a hen?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Oh and by the way, can you tell me the names of the chickens in the pictures? I know they are Silkies and Polish, but what kind?
    Thanks!

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    [​IMG] white silkie, white crested black polish rooster and than a partridge silkie.

4. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The Polish are black crested white, gold laced and one buff laced. The silkies are white and black. Though the one in the first picture looks to be a silkie cross as it has normal feathers.

Where did you get sexed silkies? They are notoriously difficult to sex.

Oops, missed the partridge silkie.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  5. HS Pye

HS Pye Chirping

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Hi,

Looks like you have some white crested black Polish, buff laced polish, and white & black silkies.

HS Pye

6. TeacherMedic

TeacherMedic Chirping

Feb 5, 2014
    NC
    So, that is why my other rooster is missing! Crap. I think I got them from my pet chicken. Not sure, I lost the info. I'll have to go back and check my old emails to see if I can track down the sender. Thanks!

7. TeacherMedic

TeacherMedic Chirping

Feb 5, 2014
    NC
    What is this one? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were also told that we were getting Aurucannas when we bought about 7, however some of them have a beard and some don't, like this one... After reading an article on here the other day we had decided that we had all easter eggers, till I took these pictures today and saw that they didn't all have beards.

[​IMG]

8. HS Pye

HS Pye Chirping

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    If I'm correct that's a partridge silkie and an EE.

HS Pye

9. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Crowing

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    partrigde silkie and you have 7 ees aka easter eggers, who can look like anything and lay blue or green eggs and even brown

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Crowing

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Yes, you have all EEs. Since EEs are nothing more than mutts that carry the blue egg gene, they can look like almost anything--although they usually have pea combs. It's entirely possible if uncommon to have some that have no beards, but if they don't have pea combs then they probably won't lay blue or green eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by