Where is my other rooster?

Yes, you have all EEs. Since EEs are nothing more than mutts that carry the blue egg gene, they can look like almost anything--although they usually have pea combs. It's entirely possible if uncommon to have some that have no beards, but if they don't have pea combs then they probably won't lay blue or green eggs.

Quote:
Since it has feathers on its legs and came from a hatchery I would say silkie. Hatcheries are not known for show quality or for being even near SOP for a breed. They turn out as many as fast as they can, so sometimes breed characteristics get lost (like silkies having a single comb or no feathers on the feet )

This is a pea comb? Then yes they do.

Yep. That's what I was trying to say. The blue egg gene is very near the pea comb genes on the same chromosome, so a pea comb follows the blue egg gene about 93% of the time. If you are breeding EEs and want to know if the blue egg gene has been passed on, checking for pea combs is a down and dirty way to check. The bearding genes are also near the blue egg gene, but not nearly as closely tied and it's a lot more likely to get a bird that has no beard but lays green eggs than it is to get a bird with a straight comb that lays green eggs. I wasn't trying to say that your birds didn't lay blue or green eggs.

Back
Top Bottom