Where is Red Hen Going?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JackieK318, Mar 4, 2008.

1. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    For several weeks now, Red Hen (RIR) has been laying in the coop. Friday when I let the chickens out, she bolted down the hill into the woods. I went to see where she went, but couldn't see her. She did the same thing Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I left them inside today since 14" of snow came down. I didn't alter anything or change bedding.

What on earth is she doing? She doesn't sit on the eggs (she comes home at night and I have seen her with the others during the day), so what is going on?

2. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

is there a feral rooster out there, maybe ?

3. JackieK318

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    Could be, but I imagine all my MIA roosters have been eaten. [​IMG]

4. pepperluvsmee

pepperluvsmee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Seven Valleys, Pa
    I bet she found something good to eat in the woods. Goodness knows what, but I bet that is what it is.....I was going to say she has a nest down there, but with her showing up at night, it is unlikely. Unless she is young and unexperienced?
    Chickens are such mysterious creatures. ha ha
    -Theresa [​IMG]

5. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    She may have a nest down there. It would be unusual for a RIR to get broody, but if she is laying in a hidden spot she may start to set on the eggs once she has 10-12 of them in the nest (that way they will all hatch on the same day).

6. JackieK318

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    It's been in the teens here. Could the eggs still be viable? I don't think she's been letting the roo get near her. Poor guy tries, but gets nothing.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I have a few hens that bolt right to the hay pile as soon as I let them out. Is there any way to see if she's coming home to lay eggs?

If it's below freezing there, unlikely the eggs will be viable after about a full 24 hours outside.

8. JackieK318

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    She's an early morning, daily layer. On the days she was let out, no eggs in the coop, but yesterday and today when she was kept in. So, I'm guessing she is bolting to lay. The mystery is why just suddenly and what is she doing?!

9. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    She's doing it now because Spring is on the way! RIRs have *apparently* had the broodiness bred out of them, but any breed can say different. I've had broody RIRs before. I bet you she has a nest out there. Just wait a bit and if she doesnt come back for the night, I bet she went broody. Then you get to go look for her! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  10. JackieK318

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    Ugh! and I think she's going into a 'cave'. There are some fallen tree trunks and big limbs over an indent in the landscape in the woods, and I think that's where she's going. I don't really want to find out what else is in there with her! :eek:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by