Where is the best place online to buy mice/lice dusting powder????????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TajMahalChickens, Feb 19, 2011.

1. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I have a bird who I believe has parasites because there are feathers in her cage and she is dust bathing, which I have never seen her do in her cage. Where is the best/cheapest place online to buy the powder, and how do I use it??? Do I need to clean out her cage at the same time?

She is a 11 month old cockoo maran hen.

2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    You can buy it on Amazon.com. you put it in her dustbath on her and in her living area. it's called diatomaceous earth.

3. bkwurth

bkwurth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    I also have a question about this. I read you could use wood ashes for their dustbath. If you use the ashes do you still need to use diatomaceous earth?

4. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Here's a posting from another about my use for DE. Hope it helps.

Mites come out at night so make sure all roosts are treated. This I've read can be a vaseline rub though I've read of using used motor oil. I suppose mineral oil would work and you could brush it on. Get it into all cracks and crevices where mites like to hide.

Vaseline has been recommended for the legs and feet of all birds.

DE food grade to dust all birds can help too. I dust all nest boxes on a regular basis, but you want to keep them dry. I usually leave them with out hay for a few days if they get soiled and throw some dust in the new hay so girls lay in an nice dust bath. I also spread DE around in the corners and sprinkle some in the wood chips that go on the floor. I suppose a good stiff paint brush will help get it into the corners.

In the warmer dry weather when I see them in their dusting holes, I go over and dump some on them and in the hole, retreating if things get wet. Once things dry out again.

I also use DE in the scratch to keep it moth free and dry. I store it in a metal garbage can but for some reason the moth things are hard to prevent. If anyone has a solution for this problem I'd be glad to hear it.

I haven't anywhere to keep 50 birds while I spray and let the coop dry for two days, so to me and constant prevention method works best. Mites will come whether we like it or not so it's best to keep them in check.

Again as always you have to do what works for you. Not everyones' situation is the same. So far I've not seen any mites though I've checked but I can't say they're not there from what I've read. I just keep up my defenses.

Wish you the best

Rancher

got this from another post

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend sevin dust...it'll kill lice/mites, it's cheaper and readily available at most home improvement and hardware stores. It is also available at major retail chains in the garden section. Dust all your chickens... including inside their house, nests and roosts. Dont get the dust in their eyes or nostrils. Then 10 days later, redust everything including your chickens. It'll kill lice/mites that have hatched from the first dusting.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Whoa, just whoa. Simply because a hen loses a few feathers and tries to dustbathe does not mean she has mites or lice (two quite different parasites, by the way). Someone else here gave you treatment for scaly leg mites, which is yet another different kind of parasite.

I suggest you start here to try to figure out if you really do have a parasite problem:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-mites.html

7. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Ok, so here is the whole story on the hen:

She became ill about 6 weeks ago, detailshttps://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=434192&p=1 on second page with the whole story.

I isolated her in a cage, and she got back to normal. I was, however, afraid to put her back in the coop for fear that she might still be sick with no signs/be carrier of what she had. But now I realize that I can't leave her in the cage forever, since she can't get outside or perch or do anything besides sit in her cage. So I thought that maybe the problem was some type of parasite, so I thought I would dust her then put her back in. I know that sounds like a pretty pathetic plan, but I can't stink up the garage anymore!!!

I understand that DE is non-toxic, so could I just use that even if it ends up that she doesn't have parasites???

Just wondering, how can I tell if it is lice or mites? Does it make a difference in treatment?

I can not spot any critters on any of my birds, but I understand that they can be pretty hard to see.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by