Where is the best place to buy day old welsummers from?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RooptyDoo, Feb 11, 2009.

1. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    I am wanting to get more welsummers. Where is the best place to get them?

2. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:By best do you mean best quality? Darkest eggs? Or best costumer service or something else like that? [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  3. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    I can vouch for Ideals welsumers as far as being healthy, lay a fairly dark egg, and were good layers.

However, bird type, not so good, but I was more interested in egg production and color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Estes Hatchery...they bought out Calicowoods when the owner suddenly passed away.

5. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I'd go with Whitmore Farm. I have not seen his birds in person, but I just got eggs from him yesterday. Take a look!

[​IMG]

I asked Will to pick out speckled eggs for me, which is why so many of them are heavily spotted. But check out how DARK the more solid ones are. It's INCREDIBLE. They look a lot more like Marans than Wellies. I can't wait for them to hatch!

http://www.whitmorefarm.com

6. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    Rooptydoo,
    Do you plan on attending the Kankakee Bird swap? The next one is the first Sunday in April. It is a huge swap and we always sell there. We will have some of our day old welsummer chicks there and possibly some started chicks as well. I am not at home right now, so I cannot post a photo but if you go to our byc page or our website at the left you can see some of our eggs. Let me know if your interested.
    Thanks,
    Christie [​IMG]

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yes Christie is one of the best Welsummer breeders here in Illinois!

8. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    Hi Robin!
    Thank you for the very nice compliment. Hope you are having a nice muddy early spring! Hope we don't get that snow!!!!
    Christie [​IMG]

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep, we got MUDDY run and MUDDY coop! UGH! [​IMG]

10. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    Hey Mothergoose I have never been to the Kankakee swap before. It is 3 hr and 32 min. from me. Is it a big swap? I have some buff, white, and blue silkies that I need to sell. I also have 2 light brahmas that I need to sell. Do you have to have or do anything to be able to sell? I go to the waterloo swap and you have to fill out a short form to be able to sell anything. Let me know a little bit of info about the swap and I might see you there. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by