Where is the best place to get chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ldutch123, Nov 13, 2011.

1. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Should I get them from a hatchery in the spring or the farm stores? I imagine the farm stores only have the typical laying breeds and I do like some variety. I just got 26 chicks in September but I'm so addicted. I have one coop about 800 sq feet for the 11 full size girls and Floyd my roo. And also another coop that is about 1000 sq feet for the chicks. And they all get to run a fenced acre and 1/2. How do u stop getting chicks when they r so fun!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The average TSC or rural lifestyle or feed store merely re-sell hatchery chicks anyhow. The upside is you can just pick the number of each breed they offer. That said, Meyers and some other hatcheries also have small order offerings.

When the manure and litter cleanup takes a lot of time, when hauling water in the winter has to be done in sub-zero weather, or when the feed bill breaks the bank? Yeah, one can limit the number of chickens one has. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  3. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Yea they are work and they sure can eat but it is just me and my husband. No kids. So. Have a lot of wasted food and i have some really spoiled chickens they eat all the cookies and veggies and anything else that doesnt get eaten. Except meat cause that's just weird.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Actually, chickens LOVE meat. They're designed as omnivores, of course. They love mice, frogs, insects, grubs, worms, or left over meatloaf. [​IMG]

We always joke that if we had a heart attack in the chicken barn, they'd eat us too!! Without a doubt. lol

5. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    My husband keeps telling me to see how much I still "love" chickens and want more after taking care of them all winter! LOL

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    They say when a hobby becomes work the hobby is no longer a hobby.

7. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    The good thing is I don't have a lot of chores so I'm ok with the cleaning and feeding. My husband does a lot too. He probably doesn't like it too much but oh well. But he doesn't really want more though lol

8. chicken gal

chicken gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2012
    Chickens are so fun!![​IMG] I got my chickies from murray mccmurray hatchery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by