Where is the best place to get Diatomaceous Earth DE

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Country Living Farm, May 14, 2009.

1. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    Where is the best place to get this stuff. Do they sell it at walmart or something. I do need the food grade to put in the coop due to fleas.

2. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    I am in Virginia and I can't find it anywhere. Unfortunately wal-mart doesn't sell it. You can google it and find lots of sites that sell it, unfortunately in most cases shipping is as much as or more than the DE itself. I think I have decided to order perma guard off of e-bay. Just search and find the cheapest shipping for you if you can't find it locally.

3. TrixiePA

TrixiePA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    South Central PA
    I love that stuff. Use in to worm my cats and dog. I buy it from Randall Burkey. Yes it's expensive but I can't find a bad thing about it. They sell the Perma Guard. I did get some cheaper off of an organic site, Natural Earth or something, it was Concern brand and it does not state it's food grade, just says its for pest prevention. I saw it was not 100% but 85% so wasn't sure I would feed that to anyone but it did kill the ants in the garage.

If you find somewhere inexpensive or with no shipping, please share! [​IMG]

4. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Go to your local feed or garden center store(s). They should stock it or you should at least be able to order it from them. You want food/feed grade DE nothing else.
    Just for grins you could go into your wally world and say "where is your feed grade DE"? They will probably send you to the grocery section.
    We own a Nursery and Garden Center in BFE Texas and stock several sizes.
    Feed Grade DE is a natural insect killer for your garden or flower beds. Mix with your feed for your flock and dust the floor of your coop after cleaning before adding new bedding. Helps with mites and definately does a great job with the smell factor.
    You can search the group for posts on DE as to amounts per, but likely you would need to adapt amounts to your specific location and coop design.
    As an example here:
    3 lbs feed 1/2 handful of DE mixed
    Coop floor:
    Liberal dusting in high humidity, less with lower humidity
    Scratch treats:
    Just a tad mixed in.
    Forgot to check your location before I replied. but we purchase from a wholesaler that specializes in selling to Mom&Pop to larger Garden Centers. Would be happy to find a local dealer in your area if there is one.
    Hope this helps...

5. bookchick

bookchick Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Orlando
    I got a 40 lb bag from Farm City in Apopka for just under $25. They don't stock bags that large (they sell a 6lb jar for $12 off the shelf), but they will have it brought in within a week if you ask. The brand is Red Lake Earth http://www.absorbentproductsltd.com/redearthusa.htm. I didn't ask about the different kinds (powder or fine), but I have the powder and the dust is very heavy - wear a mask to save your throat, maybe even wear eye protection!

Farm City Inc - www.farmcityfeed.com
    440 South Park Avenue, Apopka - (407) 889-2822

6. leenie

leenie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Springfield, VA
  7. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    My local feed store sells it for $23.00 for a 50# bag.
    I would suggest that if your feed store does not carry it ask them to buy it from their feed supplier or whomever. You might need to educate them to DE's uses around chickens, horses and other livestock. Let them know that you and others will buy it from them.

8. Heatherberry

Heatherberry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2010
    I have seen it on Amazon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by