Where is the best place to get without a doubt the correct laws that apply to you?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances' started by jenn-, Mar 20, 2015.

1. jenn-

jenn- Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2015
    Southern Alabama
    We live both outside of our city limit and outside of police jurisdiction. The county code reads that they don't care as long as you don't fall under any other ordinance. We do live in a small subdivision though. Who would I go ask to find out for sure?

2. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    If u don't have a hoa and ok the way the county code reads I wouldn't bring the heat on my self. I wouldn't go asking

3. jenn-

Mar 5, 2015
    Southern Alabama
    No HOA. I was kind of thinking the same thing. One of those times it might be easier to ask forgiveness then permission. I would have an alternate home if I was pushed on the issue. I was just wondering if there is a specific office I could call.

4. jenn-

Mar 5, 2015
    Southern Alabama
    "Prohibits any person to keep any fowl, any cow, animal of the cow kind, hog, pig, horse, mule, deer, or any other domestic farm animal, except dogs and cats within the corporate city limits of the city in any such manner as to endanger the public health or in any such manner as to constitute a public nuisance."

This is the code as it is written for our mailing address city. We are definitely outside of city limits, so in theory, we are good?

5. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    I would think so. That is how I would take it.

6. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    [S
    I interpret that as you're good till someone complains but that's in city limits anyway which would not apply

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by