Where is the best place to purchase hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OneCrazyCowgirl, Nov 23, 2012.

1. OneCrazyCowgirl

OneCrazyCowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Anyone know of any recommended places?

2. ChickyBoy417

ChickyBoy417 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    The best thing to do is stay local, but McMurray hatchery is good quality.

3. OneCrazyCowgirl

Ok, thank you! :)
    Any others?

4. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

That would literally depend on what breed of chicken you want, how picky you are in regard to the Standard of Perfection as set forth by the APA or ABA (depending on whether you want large fowl or bantams). Whether you want pet quality, hatchery quality, breeder quality or show quality. It also depends on what color of eggs you want to be honest. If you want Marans there are breeders out there who sell hatching eggs from birds that may look exactly alike but one produces much better examples of a dark chocolatey Marans egg.

Were you looking for something specific?

5. OneCrazyCowgirl

I'm looking for D'Uccles. I want a pet quality so not too picky.

6. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

If you're just wanting pet quality birds I would recommend mypetchicken. They ship quickly and they're very accommodating. I've only purchased hatching eggs from them once, but they did hatch out nicely. My most recent purchase was baby chicks and though the USPS lost them for a while, they still arrived alive and very healthy apart from 1 lethargic one and now she's more hyper than the other two.

Their porcelain d'uccles:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ccle-hatching-eggs-6-extras-includes-shipping December 3rd shipping is available (at the time of this post)

Their mille fleur d'uccles:

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog...hing-Eggs-Bantam-Mille-Fleur-DUccle-p566.aspx December 3rd shipping is available (at the time of this post)

There are also quite a few folks here at BYC who do breed D'uccles. You may open a classified ad in the buy-sell-trade area saying what you're seeking and the price you'd like to pay (or leave price up to the seller) and I'm sure you may get at least one response there. It's winter...so granted you probably won't have the response you'd have in heavier laying months.

Good luck, I hope you get the chicks you want :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by