Where is the cheapest...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Dec 15, 2010.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Place to buy mason jars and lids?

Thanks!

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    thift stores

3. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    It probably would not hurt to post a "wanted" ad on Criagslist.

4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Goodwill, garage sales, craigslist. I get luck with CL - had someone with a take all ad, ended up being about 200+ jars with lids and rings, extra lids, and they wanted $50. I'm pretty set with jars now [​IMG] Eventually I'll have to order lids, but I'll do a bulk buy and get a few hundred.

5. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Estate and consignment auctions. I got a whole table of them for a dollar once. I gave them away on Freecycle.

6. luvanimals2

luvanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Cari, I have gotten great deals on the Mason Jars at the thrift shops. I have seen them on Craigslist and Freecycle. Sometimes it is just not worth it to drive to get a few jars. Wal-Mart marks them down to get rid of them at the end of the season. I usually will grab the lids at that time. I have seen the case of brand new jars at Wal-Mart for around 3-4 bucks so not bad for new. You just have to be on the lookout for them. A neighbor was moving and left unused cases out on the street so people usually have the intention to can and then don't but they bought the supplies.

Nancy

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Bertoli spaghetti sauce comes in those jars. I clean and save all of them - AND it is the only botlled sauce that is not full of high fructose corn syrup!!

8. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Isn't that a jug lid jar though (different top)? I thought you couldn't use ring lids on a jug lid jar...?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by