Where is the nest??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by penny99, Feb 14, 2014.

1. penny99

penny99 New Egg

Feb 14, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi ! My chicken magically reappeared this morning and I think I've figured out her problem. She's broody! And I have no idea where her nest is! She is my only chicken after a horrible fox attack. She roams during the day and always comes home to roost. Up until 2 weeks ago when she disappeared. I thought the Fox was back....

She popped up this morning (from nowhere! ) is making weird noises and is fluffed up. She has eaten and looks healthy, is rolling in the dirt at the moment. I know she'll disappear soon as this is the second time she has popped up from nowhere. 5 days ago I didn't know what was going on with her....and then she was gone again...
    Should I follow her to find her nest? How do I get her to come home again?

2. gameandmore

gameandmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    Fort Worth
    Is there anyway for those eggs to be fertile?

3. penny99

penny99 New Egg

Feb 14, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    No way at all... She's the only chicken around. .. She's disappeared again now, I'm quite worried about her

4. gameandmore

gameandmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    Fort Worth
    You really need to find that nest then. When my hens go broody they usally come out once every two days to eat and drink but if memory serves me right I had one hold out for four day... She should be back as soon as tomorrow and no later than 3 days from now at around the same time.

5. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Follow her to her nest. For some fun go to the feed store and Buy a baby chick. Put it under her at night and in the morning she will likely raise it as if it was her own. It's also a great way to bring her home and not turn her into Fox food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by