WHere is your brooder???

Hangin Wit My Peeps

AutumnBreezeChickens.com
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Birnamwood, Wisconsin
My hubby is so worried that the brooder will smell up the house. We have it in the basement right now and awaiting our chicks. DO any of you keep yours in the house? DOes it make the house smell? I plan on changing the bedding once a week. We will have about 19 - 20 chicks.

Mine is in the diningroom on top of the kennel. Oh, and on the floor next to the kennel..... but I only have 4 chickens in there all together and I use DE now too. I don't notice any smell..... but then again, I LIVE here
tongue.png
People coming in for the first time might notice it more. I pick up after them daily and clean food and water dishes and brooder regularly.

I think it also depends on the type of chicks..... apparently cornish x's and guineas are very pungent.

Last edited:
My brooder is an old aquarium. It has worked out for me very well. When the chicks first hatch, I used paper towels on the bottom and change it every day at least once depending on how many chicks there are in there. After a few days I put pine shavings in the bottom and change it every couple of days before it gets a chance to smell.

I have my brooder right next to my computer desk so I can see the little sweeties all of the time and make sure they are fine. The top is made of 1/4" wire and I have a light at one end for warmth. I love watching the chicks, and I think it makes them a little tamer because they constantly see people and I talk to them more.

smile.png

I have 27 chicks in my computer room, it shares a door to my bedroom. I have not started using the DE as yet. I thought I read some where not to use it with young chicks. Mine are 7 days old today. I don't notice a smell but I change the bedding every 3 days or so. I am dying to take pictures but my digital camera is in for repairs
sad.png
I should try me cell phone...

Mine is between the foot of the bed and the bigscreen TV. Our bedroom and living room are together. The brooder smells way less than the cat litter box. Just keep it clean. It really isnt smelly at all.

oh yes...I agree about the cat litter box. I can't stand to have one in the house. Our chicks smell like flowers compaired to the cat
wink.png

Well he puts up with the cat litter box and I change it about once a week and we have two cats. I will have him read the comments I got and maybe he will be ok with keeping them in the house. I would LOVE to keep them upstairs by me but I don't think he would go for that one
wink.png
I will just spend my days down by them.

I have 3 brooders in the house. The smell is nothing compared to the chicken dust. I use to have one in the puter room until it cost me $250 to clean the puter of chicken dust. I have set one room up as my hatch room and prebrooder pen. The other 2 brooders are in the living room. I don't keep the chicks in the house very long now that it is warmer outside. At 2 weeks they are sent out to the barn. Smell and chicken dust vanish.........or would but I keep hatching more chicks.
gig.gif

My brooder box is in my bedroom. I use a 35 gal. rubbermaid tub, and I built a wire and PVC frame to make the whole thing taller once the girls started roosting. I change the shavings every other day, and I have not had any problem with smell.. except when 2 of the girls have a cecal poo at the same time, then it gets stinky for a few minutes. But no worse than when my son poots!

Back
Top Bottom