Where is your favorite vacation destination in the USA and why?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by itsy, Aug 8, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Like the title says: Where is your favorite vacation destination in the USA and why? Is where YOU live nice to visit? Are there any local attractions in your area, even if you aren't too fond of them yourself? Any annual shindigs that are fun? Baked bean eating contest in Cincinnati? Largest shoe in Albuquerque? [​IMG]

I'd like to plan a few trips in the future and I'd like to explore more of this country. My bf and I are up for almost any scenery. Our last vacation was to San Francisco and it was quite enjoyable. I'd also be interested in hearing of any tropical-type vacations within our borders.

We've also considered cute bed and breakfasts.....

Please share your favorites or your own area's attractions! I can't wait to read your responses..... [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Do not come to Mississippi or Alabama, it is so stinking hot it is unbearable. Well, I re-read your post, you could come in October or November, I will give this some thought. One place I would like to go to is (have not been) Mentone, Alabama.

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Disneyland, it's utterly wheelchair friendly.

For kitchy, try the gilroy garlic festival, it was just parodied in a target commercial, yes you can have roasted garlic ice cream.

4. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I love Asheville NC. The town is very cool. The Smokey Mountians are beautiful. Art, Music, and Culture are everywhere.
    You BYC members in Western NC are soooooo lucky. [​IMG]

5. bgelber

bgelber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2009
    Athens, al
    My favorite vacation is Disney World. We like it so much that we are buying a after market Disney Vacation Club ( at 1/3 of disney's asking price ) I'm just always happy when I'm there.

As for attractions here in Athens: In October there will be the Old Time Fiddler's Convention here in Athens. In the spring there is a chili challenge and usually a barbeque cook off.

As for Hunstville: Big Spring Jam, which is a music festival. Panoply which is a arts, crafts, food and music. A couple more that I can't think of. There is also The Space and Rocket Center, Early Works, The Huntsville Botanical Gardens, just to name a few. Oh and if you like minor league baseball we have the Huntsville Stars.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    My absolute favorite vacation destination is Chincoteague, Va. The barrier island is a National park with a wide variety of birds, wild animals, and "wild" ponies. People are 'down homey' and the town of Chincoteague is not over commercialized. Food is excellent and moderately priced. During the month of July the Fireman's Carnival is ongoing on weekends, and the last week in July features the "wild" pony swim and sale. Autumn in Chincoteague is a fun experience. In our home state, Cape May is a great place to visit.

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
  8. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    My favorite place to vacation is Orange Beach or Gulf Shores, Alabama. From Mobile to Florida, it's beautiful, and not too many Spring Break places. Those are mostly in Florida. Love the white sand beaches, the Gulf fresh seafood, the temperatures, and the view. Just beautiful and relaxing.

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I love and Missouri and Arkansas Ozarks in the fall when the leaves are turning. Plenty to see and do with nature or you can pamper yourself as well as certain town cater to tourists. It is just so beautiful and crowds are gone. I'd like to also go to new England for their fall colors - just haven't made it there yet.

10. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    vermont.... we've go there every few months. we love it there. we have looked for land for building a small cabin there. having vermont be our vacation getaway home.
    its peacefull, thats why we like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by